Like Tree10Likes

native english seeking job - why isit so hard??

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

native english seeking job - why isit so hard??

I have been in HK for over a year now. i came HK with my bf who has a HKID. we were traveling and fell in love with HK and want to start a future with career in HK. bcos my bf has a HKID he can get a job easy.

I find it so hard to look for a job bcos i dont hold a HKID. in order to get a teaching job i need to have a degree which i dont. i have some experience and also a TEFL but this dont seem to help as no one wants to sponsor me!
    when i do finally have a school who will sponsor me the visa fell through saying i dont have a skill. so now i am stuck without a job and i dont know what to do.

everyone joke about getting married with my bf, but we dont want to ruch into getting married just for a HKID as we are both still young.

i also tired private tutoring but all the wellcome and pakn shop have no more notice boards. and parents tend to go with someone they know from a friend.

can anyone help with advice on what i can do?

I am a highly motivated, energetic and vibrant Native English speaker with 1 year experience in handling small kids, planning and carrying out the daily school activities, and the ability of using creative and interesting techniques for making children learn fast, solve problems and understand abstract concepts.

i am willing to learn - just need to be given the chance!

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    I am a highly motivated, energetic and vibrant Native English speaker with 1 year experience in handling small kids, planning and carrying out the daily school activities, and the ability of using creative and interesting techniques for making children learn fast, solve problems and understand abstract concepts.
    What did you copy this from?

To get a job with sponsoring visa in Hong Kong, you have to have skills which cannot be found amongst the population and have the skills to do the job you are applying for. Your visa application was rejected because you didn't fill one of the two requirements. Which one do you think is was rejected on? If you believe you have the necessary skills, why are you in a situation where you are "willing to learn"? Shouldn't you be past the learning stage? Employment visas are not for "learning".

You say you are young. Do you hail from one of the countries which has a Working Holiday Scheme reciprocal agreement with Hong Kong? If so, you can look into that. It will let you stay legally in Hong Kong for a year.

Alternatively, study. Upgrade your skills. You can then apply for a student visa, if you are accepted on an acceptable course. This will make you more marketable for jobs after your studies.

Finally, return to your home country and persuade your boyfriend to go with you.

BTW, if Immigration rejected this application, it may well reject others for similar jobs. Plus everything goes on record. Never having had a visa, I don't know either this rejection have affect your next visa run... perhaps others can advise.

Reread your original post. The answer is staring you in the face.

(Hint - jobs for Native English speaking tutors typically require the ability to speak, and write, English natively).

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Reread your original post. The answer is staring you in the face.

(Hint - jobs for Native English speaking tutors typically require the ability to speak, and write, English natively).
    Although judging from my facebook feed where 95% of them are as 'British as they come', you'd realise that just because you Natively speak English that doesn't mean you can spell or communicate without butchering the English language!

However, none of them claim to be teachers so its all good
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Missy, where are you from, what passport do you hold? What is your age? You've been here for over a year, are you an overstayer or doing visa runs? Answer these questions first and I will try to help you with answers. You have a TEFL? A TEFL what?

Let's get this straight:

1. You have been working here illegally for the past year
    2. You were declined a visa, and this is on record.
    3. You can barely write English. I honestly had a great deal of difficulty in reading your post.
    4. You are not ready to get married, yet you don't want to go home.

You have already stayed in Hong Kong too long, and now that Immigration is aware you had a visa application denied, they are going to worry about you working illegally. It is not going to get any easier to enter Hong Kong.

Honestly, the safest idea for you now is to leave Hong Kong before you get red flagged.

from what I rather at work.

you will need a uni degree to get a work permit visa, master degree is highly preferred

wow, it´s kind of reading my own story. my bf´s job is the reason why we are here for the last 2,5 years. after arrival I immediately started to look for a job, because I wanted (that time I even didn´t know, that I need some kind of visa - not the turist visa although - to stay in HK ligally. It was not that easy but after xxx aplications I finally found a job. well, I lost is later on due to the economic crisis. my working visa was still valid, so I was still ligally here. New job search, much harder than the first one. I was so desperate, it was not healthey for me, for my relationship. fortunatelly I am not native English speaker (ask Movingin07 so speaking another european lenguage I have an ability which not many locals have. this was the solution. I found a job which requires 100% fluency in German, my HK local compatition wasn´t strong.
    My advise, forget your English, it´s really not that special in HK and try to focus on some other skills, you have for sure. Don´t give up, HK is a working place, there are lots of vaccancies! It may take time although... Good luck!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Missy, where are you from, what passport do you hold? What is your age? You've been here for over a year, are you an overstayer or doing visa runs? Answer these questions first and I will try to help you with answers. You have a TEFL? A TEFL what?
    Thanks for your reply. I am from the UK with a British Passport. I am 23. I have stayed here for a year without working. My passport allows me to stay for 160 days so i dont have to do that many visa runs. I do have a TEFL, which i have taken in march.

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    Let's get this straight:

1. You have been working here illegally for the past year
    2. You were declined a visa, and this is on record.
    3. You can barely write English. I honestly had a great deal of difficulty in reading your post.
    4. You are not ready to get married, yet you don't want to go home.

You have already stayed in Hong Kong too long, and now that Immigration is aware you had a visa application denied, they are going to worry about you working illegally. It is not going to get any easier to enter Hong Kong.

Honestly, the safest idea for you now is to leave Hong Kong before you get red flagged.
    Thanks for your reply.

I have not been working in HK at all for the time i've been here.
    Its not that i dont want to go home. me and my bf just want to start a future here in HK. but if worse comes to worse then we will go home, and my bf is willing to come with me.
    i hold a UK passport and it allows me to stay for 160 days. for the year i have been here, i've also been traveling around aisa and so far i have no trouble.
    thanks for your advice!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast