working in sai kung.. area to live

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The island is called Kau sai chan and i believe the only way to get there is via the ferry from sai kung.

is it the public golf course?

Yeah - that's the golf course.

Ok - need to get ferry from Sai Kung town so closer to SK the better.

Most the western guys who work there seem to live in Clearwaterbay from what I understand.

Have you tried contacting them - they're generally good bunch of lads and may be able to work something out in short term for you.

Tseung Kwan O. Should be faster to Sai Kung and then ferry until you can find a perm. place in Sai Kung or Clear Water Bay.

Thanks for all your advise people.. much appreciated.
    Where you all from anyway?? I am a kiwi that now lives in oz and my hubby and child aussies.

Originally a Brit - Now a Hongkie...

Lots of both Kiwis and Aussies around Sai Kung.
    Couple of aussie-style and run restaurants in the town and many bars catering more to a Western crowd.

How far is SK from the CLK airport,or does one need a car if living up there.
    Cheers

If you prefer a more urban feel, then live in Sai Kung town itself. As I said before, it has all the amenities and the transport links start from there. If you want it a bit greener, then there are small villages just outside the town and you can still walk in. However, by going out to Clearwater Bay, you're adding your journey time by half an hour and the road to SK always has roadworks or there's been some sort of traffic accident.

Tsueng Kwan O is a urban sprawl and not an ex-pat community. English isn't widely spoken there.

As for the distance between the airport and Sai Kung: It's the other side of HK from CLK. If you're having to travel these distances daily, then you will need a car, otherwise it's at least 1 and a 1/2 hours each way.

But if you only do the occasional jaunt, then you can get the minibus to Mongkok and catch the Express bus, or via Ma On Shan.

If you have a lot of luggage, then you can ask a regular taxi driver if they would take you for $250 - 300.

Last edited by bsh; 09-06-2007 at 10:05 AM.

For airport - allow $300-400 by taxi and about 1hr travel time.

Can also use public transport but need to change (I go via Mongkok and get bus there) - takes about 1.5 hrs.

Lot of people do drive and use parking at airport.

from clear water bay to airport it costs me $200 by taxi including all tolls. cheap hey. I just usually call the taxi guy and make an appointment with him and he comes and picks me up.