Like Tree1Likes

Is Sai Kung really a gweilo ghetto?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Sai Kung really a gweilo ghetto?

Is sai kung really a gweilo ghetto with too many feral kids and feral dogs?

Or is it where an Expat family can escape to and live 'alongside' villagers enjoying an un-urban small community way of life, away from the hustle and bustle of Hong Kong.

i'd say the latter...

i personally wouldnt move into sai kung - you're asking for pain on the weekends for a wee while. and even weekdays some oddness can cause great sadness in traffic..

clear water bay road area. or on the ma on shan side - have all the access to wild beauty you need -

you dont actually have to go into Sai Kung town if you dont want....

Pick your village carefully - some of them are apparently really unfriendly towards outsiders.

And, in my experience as a hiker, feral dogs are a problem around pretty much every Sai Kung village.

dear giant likes this.

Discovery Bay is the bigger gweilo ghetto

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Discovery Bay is the bigger gweilo ghetto
    I don't think though it qualifies as village in the sense Sai Kung does ...

if you like beaches etc then clear water bay side is your best bet - and if you get some where near Hang Hau then - you can hit the MTR pretty easily..

Or maybe Razor Hill / Pik Uk? - apartments there right next to the supermarket - and great transport links if your driving as a estate agent might say...

dont think you can compare Discovery Bay with a sai kung villiage..

i wished I'd got a roof top..

oh and definitely check out the dog situation - I had 6 mingey mutts move in under me for a year... that was so0O tranquil...

Last edited by audiot; 06-11-2011 at 01:15 AM.

Invest in one of those ultrasonic dog alarms?

invest in a Water Pistol............... works for those in range and they become more reluctant to bark when they get a drenching...

I've done some hiking around SaiKung, have seen some dogs but never do they bother me. Wild dog packs as found in rural USA are much more frightening. If driving at night though please watch for the feral cattle, they often park on the road and some are as black as the night. (Hope that's not racist). And to audiot, and others, a few drops of ammonia in the squirt gun really works wonders. Talk to them first, let them hear your voice and finally associate your voice with the pain in the eyes. Those dogs won't bother you again.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast