Like Tree25Likes

Mysterious floating lights!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The 'navy-like ship' sounds like Marine Police and the 'glowing things that fall' sound like flares. There may have been a spike in recent attempts to enter the territory. I saw rings of lights like you describe in the same exact area in 2010. Aside from people smuggling, other goods are smuggled out of HK all the time, including electronics and timber from native trees that are pretty much extinct on the mainland.

EDIT: 'Glowy' things fired during the day doesn't make much sense though.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 06-06-2012 at 12:53 AM.
    jganthro and dear giant like this.

could be PLN drills for an amphibious assault of Scarborough Shoal...

The simplest explanation is squid-fishing boats, though. These definitely exist in the area (I recall seeing one moored off Sai Kung waterfront a few weeks ago), so it would not surprise me if they continue to exist now.

dear giant likes this.

The reptilians are here to abduct us lol

dear giant likes this.

Squids have boats now? To me, that's the amazing part of this story.

dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    Squids have boats now? To me, that's the amazing part of this story.
    [click me]

Now, if you'd joked about boats fishing for squid (as opposed to fisherman (on boats) fishing for squid), well...

I saw some very bright off shore lamps recently too. These are much too high off the sea surface to be only squid boats. I found the lamps obnoxious and intrusive. From half mile they hurt my eyes. What are they for? Don't know. Last night did see on SK waterfront, near the seafood restaurants a 'movie shoot' using strong lamps. I had thought the lights at sea were from a big cruiser boat and the kids were swimming in the dark so dad turned the lamps on and annoyed 1000's far off.

right, so to bring the post back to topic... the plot has thickened! the lights are apparently still there, but a couple of days ago, from what i'm told, there was a bit of havoc going about in that gulf/area. the police were shining bright light beams on some of the islands searching for something and they were checking all the marine traffic in the area too. so i'd have to say that jay probably has it right... seems to be some illegal activity going about in the area. it could also just be a marine exercise of some sort, but either way, nothing spooky or squiddy

jayinhongkong likes this.