Like Tree25Likes

Mysterious floating lights!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Mysterious floating lights!

Okay, so not so UFO-like, but if anyone's noticed, there's a bunch of very bright floating lights that have popped up around the HKUST/Sai Kung waters. These lights are massive from the looks of it and within the last week, their numbers have grown. Any clue what they're there for? I thought it might be reclamation, but the government website states that the only reclamation project nearby is down in TKO area

probably floating candles in commerative of the tiananmen square massacre yesterday

could it be prelim. work on the wind farm? how far out to sea?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Photos or it didn't happen.

audiology likes this.

Floating candles, moon reflection in the water...just out of curiousity how did you estimate the size of the lights that you claim were "massive" (especially taking the highly reflective properties of water into account) ? Was there another reference object to which you were able to compare them to? There was a lunar eclipse last night as well.

Squid fishing boats or the landing lights of aircraft?

climber07 and carang like this.

If you're talking about the very bright white metal halide lights, I believe they're out there to aid in the detection and intervention of boats carrying illegal immigrants (most of whom are South Asian) into Hong Kong from the mainland, which has been quite the problem in the last several years.

carang, climber07 and cw1483 like this.

squid fishing boats..

Chateau was out fishing. Nothing to worry about

nope, not floating candles and tiny little lights... i'm talking about massive massive halogens... the undocumented immigrant thing makes sense to an extent, but why have they been put up just this past week? especially if their numbers haven't seen a significant rise since 2009....

back to the lights: there were some on the outskirts of some islands in the area about a month ago, but there's a lot of them right in the middle of the sea now. i thought they might be to assist some kind of aircraft landing, yeah, but again, the location makes no sense... i'll take a pic next time i'm there this weekend

also, not sure if this is related, but a few people at the hkust were speaking about a navy-like ship coming in and firing something on one of the islands (during the day)... some glowy things that fall slowly to the ground. second time i've heard this around a couple weeks ago (the first time was around one of the beaches in the north-east) ... i laughed at them, but now i'm beginning to wonder lol... one of the guys said they noticed the white halogenesque lights after that incident, but heck maybe he just didn't look that way before.

oh heck maybe it is just squid fishing boats. will check it out this weekend.

Last edited by jganthro; 06-06-2012 at 12:48 AM.
    jayinhongkong likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast