Gold Coast Residential Appartments / Job Search

Closed Thread

Yellowknife NT Canada- Moving to Hong Kong

Smile Gold Coast Residential Appartments / Job Search

Hi everyone,
    I am moving to Hong Kong in June 2008 and was wondering if you have an opinion about living in the Gold Coast Serviced Appartments. What are the pro's and con's to living there?

My background is in Interior Decorating and Early Childhood Education. I enjoy both fields of work. Do you think I will have difficulties finding a job in the area or close to it? Your feedback would be great. Thanks for your help.

Theresa

As an interior decorator you wont be impressed by the GC Apartments. Do you have to live there? To start with a serviced apartment in central will give you a better introduction to HK.

There are 2 levels of GC Serviced, one is older and with a separate kitchen and living area and they are quite tired. The newer ones are more open plan. The bedrooms in both are tiny - ok for a single or v. small and short family.

Thanks for your input. I will be living in the slightly newer appartment with the open cencept. My fiance just moved in and sent pictures. I'm planning to paint and accessorize. It should be ok for the 2 of us but I'm going to find it difficult to entertain people in limited space. Do you live there now or did you at one point? I'm just curious to know what it's like. I will be commuting to Central regularly to learn more about the Interior Decorating industry in HK. Is there a designer district that you are aware of? I'm looking forward to exploring. My fiance will be away alot and I'd like to find work to keep me busy.

Last edited by TANDA747; 14-01-2008 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T&A Embury:
    I'd like to find work to keep me busy.
    Ummm you can't legally work in HK though as you will require a work permit and a company needs to sponsor you for that.

...or you could get married and then you can get a dependents Visa.

Sham Shui Po is the fabric district and in Wai Chai there are alot of furniture and bathroom stores and places selling tiles, blinds, wood, door handles etc etc.

I would never contemplate renovating a rented apartment and usually you are not allowed but people who buy renovate extensively, locals and expats alike - just different styles.

I work about 5 mins from the GC and live about 5mins in the city direction. Lots of our staff and functions are at the GC Hotel, and we each and shop at he little mall sometimes. I looked twice as the GC apartments form myself but just couldn't visualise living there without going crazy.

Smile

I am just exploring the work industry in June. I won't actually be working until after we get married in September. Thanks for all your help with the decorating store locations. I will check them out when I visit in March. Take care, T

Just take care...until you get married you can only come to HK as a tourist and you are not technically allowed to look for work on a tourist visa and after a few renewals the immigration dept. could give you some trouble...however on the other hand there are alot of people doing exactly what you plan to do.

Quote Originally Posted by T&A Embury:
    I am just exploring the work industry in June. I won't actually be working until after we get married in September. Thanks for all your help with the decorating store locations. I will check them out when I visit in March. Take care, T
    Never ever even mention looking for any type of work if you need to speak to somebody from immigration, I learnt that the hard way a few years ago where they refused a visa extension and had to go home.

stay away from the Gold Coast, it's literally the pits. i've lived in many places around HK, this has got to be the worst because despite all their promises of "it's all Cathay Pacific employees and posh expats around here!" in fact the crowd is the same as anywhere else. noise is a HUGE problem, you can hear your neighbors every move, plus Sino is constantly renovating since as people noted above, the units are falling apart.

in short, don't even think about it, for the outrageous money the GC wants you can get apartments in many other parts of HK. won't be quieter or nicer, but certainly more convenient.