Like Tree1Likes

Coming to Sai Kung; weekday traffic jams.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Coming to Sai Kung; weekday traffic jams.

We have all experienced the weekend traffic jams generated in and around SK. And maybe you have thought, as i have, that at least the ordinary days are clear of those cars. But i would advise you to take a good look at the new, massive school under construction. And i do not use that word 'massive' lightly. The bldg is huge, larger than the nearby public school. And since this new, private, school will serve mostly well-off kids from throughout the region many, maybe most, will arrive and depart by private car. So every am hundreds of cars will line up waiting/idling/discharging perhaps but one student. Then the car will flit back to Central or Kowloon and return later in the day. I for one would have favored the HoChung area for such a school as much closer to major highways and i see some large unused bldgs there ready for use. I am sorry and sad to see the remaining green space surrounding SK be paved over for any reason: parking lot, school, hotel, or high rise housing.

Would this be the upcoming HKA new campus? The people I know whose kids attend (living on the island) will most probably put their kids on the school buses. Still not ideal but not "hundreds of cars".

SS - although it remains to be seen, but I do expect *many* cars. Every school I have seen that is in the same/similar price range has this problem. There is no reason to expect this school not to have the same issue.

Families that can afford such fees (150K+ per year plus debenture) have cars and many of them have drivers to take their precious ones to school.

Having said that I doubt it will be that big of a problem in/around the town of Saikung. Saikung is a big place that can take a helluva lot of traffic before buckling when compared to other single streets that I've seen.

...plus, school traffic will move towards SK in the morning, and return before the evening rush starts.

Don't remain calm, PANIC!!!

Actually, I'd expect nearly all of the families with cars to have drivers for said cars. But I'd also expect a large proportion of the students will use the school buses. One simply cannot have one's driver out of pocket for so many hours of the day, can one?

Whatever happened to the next phase of the Hiram's Highway widening project? Last I heard it was expected to make the HKA impact nothing but an asterisk...

The majority will be bused in however there's always a window of about 20-30 minutes when it gets pretty bad at most schools since there will also always be a few hundred cars at the same time. It's mostly against traffic and for a short period of time before peak time traffic both in the morning and at night. The people that suffer the most from it are the ones driving the rug rats.

No one likes to get their sea blocked or increase in traffic or construction noises but in a city with so little space and so many people, you just have to expect it and frankly it's far too late to do anything constructive about it so all that's left is useless whining.

My guess is the rent will go up significantly in SK and CWB area once the school is in operation, as lot of families will move there as well.

HK academy is currently based in Kennedy town, the school bus from SK to HKA is via Ma On Shan/Sha Tin using the western tunnel. Unless these families live on the eastern side of the island there is no need for them to use Hirams Highway at all.

Yes, the school looks huge, but it won't have a huge number of students. I believe the maximum number of students will be capped somewhere under 600. It will still take a few more years for numbers to grow to that amount as the current number is in the low 400's.
    Many of the students will be arriving by bus. But as with any school, there will be a bit of congestion at peak times.
    I'm hoping it won't be as bad as the OP thinks it will be.

It seems the school's put out a bit of PR effort in terms of addressing traffic issues by stating in the latest edition of SK Magazine that the building has an underground pick up/drop off area so cars won't necessarily be blocking traffic/driving in circles in SK town...?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast