Like Tree32Likes

Recent Break In's

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gunsnroses:
    What sort of security system you have, apart from 4 dogs?
    I have webcam installed inside the house but mostly to look at WTF my dogs are doing and trying to destory

My main security is Knives, big large feck off knives I leave on my head board within easy reach, also some strategically hidden ones in other rooms and even outside in the garden. the ones out in the garden I let rust but leave very sharp as well so as to cut flesh and hopefully give them Tetanusu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetanus

Tetanus is caused by the tetanus bacterium Clostridium tetani.[9] Tetanus is often associated with rust, especially rusty nails, but this concept is somewhat misleading. Objects that accumulate rust are often found outdoors, or in places that harbour anaerobic bacteria, but the rust itself does not cause tetanus nor does it contain more C. tetani bacteria. The rough surface of rusty metal merely provides a prime habitat for C. tetani endospores to reside in, and the nail affords a means to puncture skin and deliver endospores deep within the body at the site of the wound.

An endospore is a non-metabolizing survival structure that begins to metabolize and cause infection once in an adequate environment. Because C. tetani is an anaerobic bacterium, it and its endospores thrive in environments that lack oxygen. Hence, stepping on a nail (rusty or not) may result in a tetanus infection, as the low-oxygen (anaerobic) environment is caused by the oxidization of the same object that causes a puncture wound, delivering endospores to a suitable environment for growth.[10] Tetanus is an international health problem, as C. tetani spores are ubiquitous. The disease occurs almost exclusively in persons unvaccinated or inadequately immunized.[2] It is more common in hot, damp climates with soil rich in organic matter. This is particularly true with manure-treated soils, as the spores are widely distributed in the intestines and feces of many non-human animals such as horses, sheep, cattle, dogs, cats, rats, guinea pigs, and chickens.[3] Spores can be introduced into the body through puncture wounds. In agricultural areas, a significant number of human adults may harbor the organism. The spores can also be found on skin surfaces and in contaminated heroin.[3] Heroin users, particularly those that inject the drug, appear to be at high risk for tetanus.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Thankfully, the only thing robbers would take if they broke into our place is pity.
    Surprised as I am at the need to point this out, "robbery" is theft from a person. Theft from a property is "burglary".

Security is one thing, but the step before that is deterrent. You want to lock your windows so robbers can't see any easy openings. I'm not sure what the law is in HK regarding putting up barbed wires around external pipes. Also consider getting a camera fitted on the outside of the building with a big bad flashing red light, either real or fake, that'll help deter them.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using GeoClicks mobile app

East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    A hdd recorder with motion sensors could be useful and they are quite cheap.

You can connect some devices to switch on light. Many systems also have remote controls that can check via the internet.

You can set it up that it records only on motion, better systems have a pre-alarm recording function. You can also have external triggers, like from outside PIR sensors, or glass break sensors.

One issue in HK is that window and door security is simply crap. Specially sliding doors have no real locking system.
    A cut hockey stick wedged in the slider at night is a cheap and very effective preventive control for sliding glass doors and windows. Hammer a nail beside the door and drill a hole in the hockey stick - hang it on nail when not in use, very convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Surprised as I am at the need to point this out, "robbery" is theft from a person. Theft from a property is "burglary".
    Yes, but as the OP pointed out, the victim was also in the property at the time, so either is valid in my humble opinion.

sliding door locks can be circumvented in secs- an the hockey stick may not work if your patio door is made of 4 segments..

what u can do is to screw a thin plank or bar above where the windows 'lock' they should be thin enuff to allow doors to slide past but too thick to allow the door to be lifted and ypass the lock

the gap at the top is simple to allow thr doors to be installed - so u can block this and then the lock might actually work....

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Robbery is theft using violence or threats of violence (eg bank robbery).

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    A hdd recorder with motion sensors could be useful and they are quite cheap.
    Nah, they'll steal them anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    A cut hockey stick wedged in the slider at night is a cheap and very effective preventive control for sliding glass doors and windows. Hammer a nail beside the door and drill a hole in the hockey stick - hang it on nail when not in use, very convenient.

Speaking of hockey, a long sock with a hockey puck in it makes a great weapon. I used to keep one under my car seat before I was old enough to buy a gun.

But now that I'm in Hong Kong, I set out a plate of cookies and some warm milk, I don't want to bother the poor intruder or infringe on his rights.
    Last edited by closedcasket; 25-07-2013 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    My main security is Knives, big large feck off knives I leave on my head board within easy reach, also some strategically hidden ones in other rooms and even outside in the garden. the ones out in the garden I let rust but leave very sharp as well so as to cut flesh and hopefully give them Tetanusu
    Erm, you leave big large feck of rusty knives lying around in your garden for YOUR protection? What scenarios are you envisaging in Hong Kong that will warrant you needing to use them? Somebody get a little caught up watching the Walking Dead perhaps?
    closedcasket likes this.