Like Tree22Likes

Sai Kung - never again on a Sunday night

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Lootoo:
    ... I park in the Centro car park south of the old town, so I don't have to drive through town. But if I wasn't driving and saw huge queues everywhere, I'd just head into one of the bars and wait it out!
    Yeah, because there's nothing like driving home after you've tanked a few litres of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    watercooler... faster to get home from central for whom exactly? would that not depend entirely upon where one lives?

also, north point does have a functioning pier. i used to take a ferry from kwun tong to north point quite regularly. it has now been discontinued, as many of the ferry services have.
    It would be better for those who live on the eastern half of HK island, but not necessarily for everyone else.

Doesn't matter whether there is a functioning pier or not. Had there been sufficient demand to operate a ferry route profitably, there would have been a ferry between Sai Kung to Sai Wan Ho. The fact there isn't suggests the demand is not there for such a ferry route to operate.

In any case, if you really want such a route to exist, you can simply gather a group of friends with you and charter a boat from Sai Kung to Sai Wan Ho, then problem solved.
    Last edited by Watercooler; 08-08-2013 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    The fact there isn't suggests the demand is not there for such a ferry route to operate.
    Maybe not enough demand. Keep in mind that the ferry journey Central - Sai Kung would be a REALLY long journey too. Probably double three times the length then to Lamma or DiscoBay.

This said, a ferry would be nice at weekends, and one ferry weekdays for the rush hours too please!
    Last edited by flameproof; 08-08-2013 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenTex:
    Yeah, because there's nothing like driving home after you've tanked a few litres of beer.
    Well, yeah, I mean, everybody does it, don't they...

Sorry, I missed the part where you said "but if I weren't driving" and couldn't edit my post when I found out.

But true, everybody does it, and I think those that get caught with a high alcohol content in their blood should have their drivers licence revoked. Forever.

carang and Lootoo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Yesterday we had the misfortune of experiencing the hell aka Sai Kung, on a Sunday night.

Over the years, we've been to Sai Kung countless times with the whole family. Sometimes we do a boat trip, sometimes we go to the pool, sometimes a hike and sometimes we just go for lunch. For the past 15 years, due to the kids, we have always left SaiKung around 6ish to get home around 8 or so for a nice shower and into bed at a decent time.

Yesterday, for the first time in a very long time, it was just me and the wife and we tought we would spend a bit longer in town, have a few drinks and a leisurely dinner before heading back. BIG Mistake!

I wish we never stayed that long as we couldnt get out of the place. Every bus line was full of hundreds, the minibus lines were even longer. The taxi lines were looking crazy too with no taxis at all. Every corner looked like an hour's wait.

We did finally found a bus big enough we could squeeze on, stood for best part of an hour thru traffic and made it to an MTR stop and then quick ride home; it was most unpleasent experience and one I wish not repeat any time soon.

Is it like this every Sunday night in SaiKung?
    well, saikung is a popular place for expats and locals, that's why some people prefer to drive to saikung to avoid this hassle for public transport or long queues for taxi ( TBH, I have been to sai kung over 30 times in past 6 years by driving, only twice I caught to bus as it takes bloody forever)

though I have been sober all those times, I generally leave my drinking to lfk and tst ( even then, I rarely do so nowadays)

alternatives, it's probably the frequent green mini buses ( the most frequent is the one to MK)
    Last edited by imparanoic; 09-08-2013 at 09:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    well, saikung is a popular place for expats and locals, that's why some people prefer to drive to saikung to avoid this hassle for public transport or long queues for taxi ( TBH, I have been to sai kung over 30 times in past 6 years by driving, only twice I caught to bus as it takes bloody forever)

though I have been sober all those times, I generally leave my drinking to lfk and tst ( even then, I rarely do so nowadays)

alternatives, it's probably the frequent green mini buses ( the most frequent is the one to MK)
    No - it's the RED minibus to MK. Takes about 25 mins (or at least the one I took last Saturday did). Took me just over an hour to get home to the GC, which I think is probably a record from Sai Kung. Takes 45 mins in a cab direct!

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    No the most frequent is the 1A to Choi Hung followed by the 101M to Hang Hau. The MK Red minibus only travels when full or mostly full and you can wait quite a while for one to turn up.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    No - it's the RED minibus to MK. Takes about 25 mins (or at least the one I took last Saturday did). Took me just over an hour to get home to the GC, which I think is probably a record from Sai Kung. Takes 45 mins in a cab direct!
    proves how often I catch red and green minibuses ( though I previous caught the green 55k and 56k on daily basis a few years ago), thx for setting the record straight

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4