Like Tree1Likes

Gold Coast or Village House?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Re the pollution - more or less, yes. We have had a wonderful clear time this last 10 days (due to pouring rain mainly!) but previous to this I had not seen a totally clear day since we arrived (9 months)....

PS - that's everywhere, not just GC!

I took these photo's while helping a mate find a new apartment today, the weather has been amazing the last few days. But like Moving07 says, its not often, that we have such clear days in HK. Not like this anyway....

Name:  P1020129.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  391.2 KB

Name:  P1020137.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  622.6 KB

Name:  P1020182.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  631.8 KB

Name:  P1020192.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  506.9 KB

Name:  P1020138.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  783.7 KB

The Yan Oi Wet Markets we were talking about the other day.

Last edited by Skyhook; 02-07-2008 at 12:03 AM.

Continued on from the last post.

The main food shopping area in Tsing Ho Square, Tuen Mun, right near Yan Oi Wet Market. You can get most of your fresh foods here, and for considerably cheaper than the super market.

Another photo taken from our place this morning, of today's weather, sunny, hot and a tad humid.

No complaints from any of us, while visibility remains what it is at the moment.

Wow! Nice photos skyhook - no pollution at all at the moment. I lived in Hunan for a year and don't remember a single clear day! I guess being near the coast has benefits (at least when the wind is blowing in the right direction!)

Anyway i'm still waiting on my contract - will have a hundred and one questions to ask as soon as i'm signed up!

Thanks for all the advice so far.

English Monkey

It's HELL getting from Tin Shui Wai Harbour City to Tuen Mun. Araucaria doesn't speak from experience as he/she obviously doesn't have to commute to and from Tin Shui Wai. I started out commuting from GC to Tin Shui Wai and it's UNPLEASANT! There is NO DIRECT bus from Harbour City to Tuen Mun. You have to take the Light Rail, the West Rail then another bus. It takes about 50 minutes at least.

The Gold Coast where we are is great. We actually live here and can tell you for a FACT that with a family in tow, the GC and surrounding apartments (which are better in value), it's your best bet.

Most NETs who work in Tuen Mun live here. Private rentals are HEAPS cheaper given that SINO has recently jacked up their prices. As a new NET too, you'd also get the necessary support from the other experienced NETs who live here.

With a wife and young kids in tow, there is no better place to start out. There's even playgroups and a fantastic kinder round the corner run by an English lady who runs an all day nursery/kinder with bus pick-ups to and from school. Heaps of other schools pick up from the GC area too.

Good Luck.

Last edited by minhk; 02-07-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by minhk
    English Monkey

It's HELL getting from Tin Shui Wai Harbour City to Tuen Mun. Araucaria doesn't speak from experience as he/she obviously doesn't have to commute to and from Tin Shui Wai. I started out commuting from GC to Tin Shui Wai and it's UNPLEASANT! There is NO DIRECT bus from Harbour City to Tuen Mun. You have to take the Light Rail, the West Rail then another bus. It takes about 50 minutes at least.

jeeez - you never found out about the K74!!! How long were you there???

50 minutes? - you must be talking about working in Ferry Pier. K74 goes straight from outside Tower 2 on to the highway to Tun Mun - how come you never knew ???

Err... Araucaria, how long ago did you live there? There isn't a K74 outside P2. Every morning I watch a whole bunch of NETs wait for the K51 to get in the direction of Tuen Mun and some of them head out to Tin Shui Wai via the KCR. The ONLY way to get to Tin Shui Wai Harbour City on public transport is as I've mentioned. The only other way is to take the K51 to Hanford Gardens then take the A73. But that service seems to have it's own system... so the wait can vary from 5 to 30 minutes.

I think you've lost touch.

Last edited by minhk; 03-07-2008 at 08:12 AM.

Just to let you all know I have signed up for a 2 bed Serviced Apartment in the Gold Coast for a month from when we arrive on 23rd August. My job doesn't start till 1st Sep, so I have a week to get a really good look at some village houses. My first task when I arrive though is to buy a travel cot as the GC don't rent them out - the guy from Sino just told me to get one from the 'big supermarket' (im assuming he meant the one in the GC mall. Anyway if anyone has a spare cot available, or would like to meet a Chinese/British family of 4 just give me a PM!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast