Like Tree1Likes

Gold Coast or Village House?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Gold Coast or Village House?

I'm going to be teaching in a school in Tun Mun in September and the Gold Coast has been recommended to me as a good place to live. I have 2 young kids (3 months and 20 months) and from my initial research Gold Coast looks great.

However, perhaps someone with local knowledge could clarify a few things for me:

On the gohome.hk website 3 bedroom flats (700sq ft) are advertised at just $6500 a month with Century 21. Is this the real price? It seems very cheap!

My wife is originally from China, and likes to shop in local markets and buy fresh food everyday. Are there any fresh produce markets near Gold Coast, or is the Supermaket more than adequate? Also being a speaker of Mandarin Chinese - are ther many other Mandarin speakers in the development (I heard lots of Mainland Chinese rent at GC).

Are there any local Kindergarten's/doctors nearby? I ask this as we will not be able to afford international school fees or private medical fees if required for the children, and from research I have learned that medical care in HK is cheap and efficient (compared to the UK at least!).

Is the Gold Coast the best place for kids? Are there lots of other families?

Finally any other comments would be welcome. If anyone can recommend any other places for us to live near Tuen Mun (Yuen Long for example). Perhaps a flat in a village house style building within walking distance of amenities would be better?

So many questions..

Thanks for your help In advance!

Hi there, I live at the Gold Coast and have been here for 4 years. Their website is www.goldcoast.com.hk and you can view the area and floor plans.

Many of the high rise apartments are privately owned so it could be the right price. If you were to go through the Gold Coast leasing office, they may be leasing them at a higher price due to the fact that they have a 'customer service' department that you can talk to when things go wrong.

We love the space of the GC and there are a lot of families out here with kids. With an active 3 year old you've got play areas with equipment as well as the pool. They seem to have activities on for the kids during the holiday times.

As for markets, there are 2 wet markets down in Tuen Mun with vegies etc. I cannot offer feedback with regards to people speaking Mandarin.

There is a doctor at the GC Shopping Centre and he's ok to go to for general stuff. I'm sure there are plenty of services down in Tuen Mun, it's just a matter of talking to the right people.

As a Westerner, I generally go to English speaking doctors etc, and find myself heading into HK Island for such services.

I hope that helps some what.

there is also a heath centre in the gold coast shopping centre.

At risk of sounding like a broken record I would also recommend you check out Sham Tseng before making your decision. It is just 10mins from the Gold Coast but has good buses and a completely different feeling. There are several threads on here already if you do a search.

You reckon the buses are better in sham tseng? I always wondered because the 962B only goes every 30 mins and there do not seem to be so many others to Tuen Mun from there - although I agree it has a nice atmosphere.

Apartment complexes that English_Monkey might want to check out are:

• The Aegean Coast
    • Pearl Island
    • Aqua Blue
    • The village houses in Ka Wo Garden
    • Peridot Court
    • Palatial Coast & Poseidon Coast
    • Privately renovated/owned Gold Coast Residence apartments over a Sino version.

Most of those apartments are within 10-15 minutes walk from the Welcome super market and the western cafes/pub located at the Gold Coast open air mall.

Tuen Mun town and the Tuen Mun City Plaza are only a very short 8 - 10 min bus ride away, where there is a brand new cinema complex etc. If you are working in Tuen Mun, shopping for groceries after work in the local wet markets etc, will be the most convenient. Tuen Mun City Plaza has 1000's of shops, all the middle brand name clothing shops, Jusco, Best's, Broadway, Fortress ( electrical appliances ) etc.

Loads of Aussie/British families live in the GC and the Aegean Coast, so you will find it pretty easy to settle in.

I live about 10 minutes walk from the Gold Coast residences, Moving lives in the area too, if you need any questions answered about the area, feel free to message me via Geo Private Message. If you need a compliant estate agent, I will be happy to forward one onto you who is located in Tuen Mun Town.

Cheers
    Last edited by Skyhook; 25-06-2008 at 09:59 PM.

Agree with most of what has been said.

I tend to think Aegean Coast is very good value for money, as far as facilities and surrounds go. you can get a decent sized unit for around $9k. It is directly across the road from the Marina (Wellcome, a few shops, some restuarants etc) and has a fair expat population. Wet markets are just down the road at Sam Shing near Castle peak beach. travel to Tuen Mun takes about 10min by bus/cab etc.

the only downsides with the entire area is that if you want to see much of HK, you'd do best to get a car. Public transport is doable, but it takes time. and iwth kids, a car is the way to go, IMHO...

just a footnote... the business i used to work for in TM now leases units for employees solely in Aegean Coast. they used to lease in Gold Coast, but have since changed due to the value factor.

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 25-06-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: added a bit..

Many thanks for all the responses - seems like GC and the surrounding area is a good place to be for families. Feel free to give me any other advice - esp if you have young kids!

From what I can see on GOHOME

Gold Coast seems quite cheap - just $8500 per month for 895sq ft in phase 2 - and of course village houses are cheaper still. I guess I'll get a better idea when we arrive. Another thing is my wife hates the idea of living on a higher floor - I think when she lived on the mainland she heard lots of stories of lifts being out of service due to powercuts - is this the case in HK?

Final questions - Any ideas about where to rent a 2 bedroom serviced apartment/hotel suite neat GC? Should we rent for a month, or do you reckon the supply of places to rent means we'll find somewhere permanent in a week/2 weeks?

Again so many questions! If anyone needs any info on living in the UK (Lake District/London) or Mainland China (Hunan, Hangzhou) I'll be happy to oblige!

I don't think a car is essential in the GC - the buses are great.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast