Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Skyhook

Which Village in Sai Kung

Closed Thread

Smile Which Village in Sai Kung

My hubby has been toying with the idea of moving to SK.

We have been browsing the rental sites, and wondered if anyone could give us any advise?

We are looking for a village apartment with the use of a rooftop.
    Our budget is as low as possible for a 600 sq ft apartment (2 bed) Which from what I have seen on the rental sites, is anything from 10K up.

My husband needs to be able to travel to Kowloon Tong side for work, so we would need somewhere with a good mini bus service.

We are British, and have lived in HK for 5 years 3 of which have been spent living in villages in Sha Tin & Tai Wai so have seen the good and very basic facilities available within village apartments. By that I mean, I am adaptable, I don't need a fitted kitchen, I can use the Chinese style kitchen.

Any help would be appreciated.

The 87 K minibus runs froms University KCR to Tseng Tao village every 10 to 15 minutes and much quicker in peak times. Last bus is around midnight. Anywhere in-between and the minibus will be full in peak hours. To get to Sai Kung, you have the 99 and 299 (K) but it's a long walk from the village to the main road. Most people hop on the minibus first and they charge 2 dollars.

Tai Tung village is much closer to the main road but I'm not sure how big the village is.

The 807 B minibus runs from University to Wong Chuk Wan village but the frequency is less than the above. However, you're much closer to Sai Kung. I think you can catch the 99 bus to University now.

Personally, I like the location of Ma Ku Lam as it's much closer to the main road and all the buses mentioned runs past. There are quite a few villages in between but a few involve steep walks to the bus stops.

Last edited by bsh; 07-02-2014 at 10:56 AM.

Hi Karen - the best thing to do is to walk into estate agents and talk to them. There are a bunch in SK who are all fairly helpful, off fuk man road, and the one we use is Wider property agency in Tai Po Tsai. Ken, the agent there, will happily drive you around all the flats you're interested in.

10K a month for something that size is only really possible if you're looking at villages quite far removed from Sai Kung Town proper. If you have a car, that's not really too much of an issue, but if you're looking at public transport I'd say you'll want to look at Sai Kung Town or nearby - Sha Kok Mei is a 5 minute walk from SKT and you might be able to find something in your price range there.

Thank you for the info :0) Its appreciated.

Thats good to know, thanks :0)

Thank you, I will have a look at Ma Ku Lam :0)

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    There are a bunch in SK who are all fairly helpful, off fuk man road,
    Not for much longer ........

3 have closed down over the last month, and I dare say 70% of them will be gone by the years end. Property sales turnover in Sai Kung has stagnated for the last 6 months and I'd say ( thankfully ) that most wont have deep enough pockets to see out the year, if not the next few months. I look forward to useful shops that the Sai Kung community wants/needs as opposed to a whole street full of Estate agencies.

The best agent in the area isn't located in Sai Kung Town, but she is located in Razor Hill/Clearwater Bay. She's a Cantonese speaking HK born Brit,( ie a Batgung) and she's lovely. We have used her for a number of property transactions and she's been ace.

If you want her contact details I am happy to PM her company name and number to the original poster....

Rents in any of the nicer villages that are situated a few metres walk from the roadside ( Bus Taxi etc ) with easy vehicle access and, or, parking are up around $16,000hkd pm ( contemporary renovated 2 bedroom place). The cheaper places that were mentioned are for 2 or 3 bedroom village houses located in the older ( not so pretty ) crammed villages behind the tyre shop between Fuk Man road Sha Kok Mei road end of Sai Kung Town.

Bare in mind that places like this are cheaper for a reason. Hopefully you wont have much stuff to move, because its going to be a fair pain in the arse getting furniture delivered from the roadside up the narrow quadrant of paths that likely the cheapest houses suffer.

Good luck with that....... Or look further a field, Tai Po near the Wishing Tree / Mah On Shan, behind or near the Thai restaurants, because, a shitty situated village house will become a real PITA during the rainy season.

Sai Kung property prices have just started to lower ( 10% ) in our area, which wont help rents any. I'd imagine Sai Kungs spastically high rents will remain steady for at least a year, possibly 18 months before things settle back down to normal. HK academy spiked rents by 40 - 100% in villages close to the school, especially Tai Wan Village. Prices almost doubled once HK academy staff were deployed into the area...

They have pissed off a lot of ( long term, lower income ) European residents that have to pay rent out of their own pockets ie who dont get a housing allowances...
    Last edited by Skyhook; 09-02-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    kimwy66 likes this.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    Not for much longer ........

3 have closed down over the last month, and I dare say 70% of them will be gone by the years end. Property sales turnover in Sai Kung has stagnated for the last 6 months and I'd say ( thankfully ) that most wont have deep enough pockets to see out the year, if not the next few months. I look forward to useful shops that the Sai Kung community wants/needs as opposed to a whole street full of Estate agencies.

The best agent in the area isn't located in Sai Kung Town, but she is located in Razor Hill/Clearwater Bay. She's a Cantonese speaking HK born Brit,( ie a Batgung) and she's lovely. We have used her for a number of property transactions and she's been ace.

If you want her contact details I am happy to PM her company name and number to the original poster....

Rents in any of the nicer villages that are situated a few metres walk from the roadside ( Bus Taxi etc ) with easy vehicle access and, or, parking are up around $16,000hkd pm ( contemporary renovated 2 bedroom place). The cheaper places that were mentioned are for 2 or 3 bedroom village houses located in the older ( not so pretty ) crammed villages behind the tyre shop between Fuk Man road Sha Kok Mei road end of Sai Kung Town.

Bare in mind that places like this are cheaper for a reason. Hopefully you wont have much stuff to move, because its going to be a fair pain in the arse getting furniture delivered from the roadside up the narrow quadrant of paths that likely the cheapest houses suffer.

Good luck with that....... Or look further a field, Tai Po near the Wishing Tree / Mah On Shan, behind or near the Thai restaurants, because, a shitty situated village house will become a real PITA during the rainy season.

Sai Kung property prices have just started to lower ( 10% ) in our area, which wont help rents any. I'd imagine Sai Kungs spastically high rents will remain steady for at least a year, possibly 18 months before things settle back down to normal. HK academy spiked rents by 40 - 100% in villages close to the school, especially Tai Wan Village. Prices almost doubled once HK academy staff were deployed into the area...

They have pissed off a lot of ( long term, lower income ) European residents that have to pay rent out of their own pockets ie who dont get a housing allowances...
    Excellent info

Thanks to everyone that has replied. And yes if you could pm me the ladies details that would be gr8.

Karen.

PM sent