Areas to live in SK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Areas to live in SK

Please will you help again?

Which areas would you recommend for living in SK?
    We'd prefer quiet, but I do have to commute to Homantin, Kowloon for work.

Are barking dogs and thin walls a problem all over SK?

Many thanks,
    Pixel

Becoming more confused as the arrival draws closer.

Hi Pixel,
    I do think, with your budget, family and interest in the more rural side of HK - Sai Kung is the best. But...then...I admit to being biased.

You'll find barking dogs and thin walls everywhere (except perhaps the tall towers with just as high prices). The key is to invest the time with a few good real estate agents and look at oodles of them. Once you've found something that seems to appeal - spend some time both inside and outside of it - listening and walking around.

I'm afraid your 2 weeks allotted to looking might not be realistic. It might then be worthwhile checking out serviced apartments for a further month or so just so that you don't have to jump at the first thing you find. Although you'll probably have to put up with a lot less space than you'll eventually want for that period of time - that'll give you some breathing space and you won't go mad dealing with estate agents on a daily basis!

There's a serviced apartment complex at Ma On Shan - just north of Sai Kung - called Horizon Suite Hotel (just use that name with www in front and dot com afterwards).

Cheers!
    Judy at Explore Sai Kung

Thank you Judy,
    Helpful as always. I appreciate it.

any village that you find in sai kung/clear water bay has barking dogs, you will get used to the noise very quickly, just like i did, the first few nights are a bit restless but its gets better.

Thin walls should not be much of a problem, depends on which floor of a village house u pick, i live on the ground floor, both the floors above me have dogs as well, so sometimes i can hear even the top floor dogs running around.

if you are going to commute to work everyday by public transports, i would not recommend going to far into sai kung, due to it being a single lane and traffic is quite slow, every time some minibus or bus stops to pick up passengers, the rest behind have to stop as well. During rush hour it can be quite mad.

Nam Wai, Nam Pin Wai, Wo Mei, Mok Tse Che are all nice villages near bus stops and before the road goes to single lane.
    They are between Sai Kung and Hang Hau, before Marina Cove, and have bus routes to Choi Hung and Mongkok also for easy MTR access.
    Unfortunately Judy is right about hotels/serviced apartments in the area. I also agree with her that 2 weeks is not close to enough time to find somewhere unless you are very lucky.

Thank you

Thank you wtbhotia and Lammarite for your help.

Here are some places I am due to visit.
    Do you have any opinions please?
    Pix

-Hing Keng Shek
    Village house, 1F+2F+roof top, 1400', 4 bedrooms, car park x 1

-Kai Ham Tsuen
    Village house, 1F+2F+roof top, 1400', car park x 2

-Sha Kok Mei Tsuen
    Village house, 1F+2F+roof top, 1400', car park

- Sha Kok Mei, in centre of town, brand new, 1400' duplex + roof - 2 B/RS + 1 ensuite & maid's room

- Ha Yeung , CWB - 1400' duplex + 800' patio

- Sheung Sz e Wan, CWB - 1400' duplex + 800' patio, nice layout, c/p

- Wo Mei , 2000' house with roof, in Hirmas Highway

How much is your rental budget Pixel ?

In my opinion, the below villa complexes are very nice, providing they have been renovated recently, and have tasteful interior treatments...

Costa Bello is superb and probably the most convenient to Sai Kung town, but rents will be in the high $30k's for a 1400ft2 home with a front court yard that is right on the Sai Kung harbour.

Marina Cove is my absolute favourite but, up in the high 60's plus price range.

Jade Villa's is quite nice also, but you will need a car there, also in the 30 - 50K price range.

Prices are a lot more affordable in Yan Ye road, and around the HK Police country club part of Tai Mong Tsai Road Sai Kung, but about $35 taxi ride from SK town.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 01-08-2008 at 07:27 PM.

Dear Skyhook,
    My max is $22k!
    Pix

Quote Originally Posted by pixel:
    Dear Skyhook,
    My max is $22k!
    Pix
    O.k, well we can cross off Villa's with manned gate/ground security, and any common area's like swimming pools at that price.

Village houses of 2 floors inc roof top should be easy enough, 3 floors if you are willing to live either in Pak Tam Country park or toward the very end of Tai Mong Tsai road. I assume you are going to get a car, which will make most anywhere in the Sai Kung district convenient.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 01-08-2008 at 07:49 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast