Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wtbhotia

PCCW on the proposed broadband upgrade in Clear Water Bay

Closed Thread

PCCW on the proposed broadband upgrade in Clear Water Bay

Saw this posted in Facebook for Lobster Bay Area Group, If you live in that area, seems there might be hope after all to get 100Mbps broadband.

For Tai Hang Hau Road residents, further news from PCCW on the proposed broadband upgrade.

The attached map shows a couple of things.

The Blue outline is the coverage of this upgrade.

The red outline shows the area that will get 100mbps. If your house is between the red and the blue lines you will get between 100mbps and around 30mbps. As the cable gets longer, the speed decreases in a linear manner. so if you are just outside the Red area, you may still get 90+mbps.

The Green circle shows the location of "the Box". This will be upgraded from the existing cabinet and the incoming connection down from the round about will be optic fiber and I am told by PCCW have higher capacity.

Now here's the next step.

We need a lot of people to sign up for this to make it cost effective for all. Because we are early adopters, PCCW want us to fund the upgrade to "the Box". PCCW want to recover the upfront costs from us. This amounts to HK$98600. If we get 145 houses to sign up, this would be an upfront cost of HK$680. If only 50 users sign up, it's going to be HK$1972 each.

If you are in the coverage area and want to join in, I have set up an email address to collect the names. If you want to join the upgrade, please email [email protected] with your name and mobile number (this is a private email that I have set up just for this). If your neighbors are in THH but not on this group, please pass the email address on and get them to send an email if they are interested.

The more the merrier and the more on board, the cheaper it gets.
    Last edited by wtbhotia; 16-05-2014 at 09:33 PM. Reason: forgot to attach map :)
    gunsnroses likes this.