A ferry for Sai Kung

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

i have no problem with a discussion on ways to ease traffic congestion and the related effects on the environment and peoples lives, but let's keep it based in reality. I think it's been made clear here by people with more knowledge on the subject than you or I that a large scale ferry service that you suggest is not viable...for a variety of valid reasons...simply trying to force the discussion with more "but what about...?" questions is not going to change this fact...or maybe you'll only be satisfied when everyone here suddenly changes their mind and agrees to march on LEGCO with your brilliant idea?

if you really want to ferry yourself to Central, buy yourself a boat...heck, you may even find some suckers to pay $100 a pop for a ride

re Silverstrand...GoogleMaps is a wonderful thing

Last edited by timklip; 05-09-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by flute:
    Wonder if you are referring to sailing boat in this forum? Would speed boat make a difference on timing and water condition requirement?
    Clearly we were talking about motor boats (re-read my previous post). Naturally sail boats would be even worse for this, as they
    • go a lot slower and, hence, would take even longer than mentioned above;
    • would not get through Fat Tong channel, adding more distance (and making the trip last even longer); and
    • would actually be less affected by water conditions in many ways, but would heel in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by timklip:
    i have no problem with a discussion on ways to ease traffic congestion and the related effects on the environment and peoples lives, but let's keep it based in reality. I think it's been made clear here by people with more knowledge on the subject than you or I that a large scale ferry service that you suggest is not viable...for a variety of valid reasons...simply trying to force the discussion with more "but what about...?" questions is not going to change this fact...or maybe you'll only be satisfied when everyone here suddenly changes their mind and agrees to march on LEGCO with your brilliant idea?
    Indeed. It is one thing to be enamored with an idea, it is another to keep pushing it in face of informed criticism.
    Multiple people on this thread have repeatedly pointed out the shortcomings and issues with the proposal - this will simply not float (apologies for the bad pun), so is it not time to move on?
    Last edited by beachball; 05-09-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Flute - unfortunately the ferry operators do not run the routes we want them to. there was a really handy little route running from Tuen Mun to Tung Chung - great for the airport and going shopping in the outlet stores or hiking on Lantau for those of us living close to Tuen Mun and not fancying the long drive all the way via Tsing yi. But no, they canceled it this year. It was always pretty full when I used it, but obviously I (and others) did not use it enough! A great pity.

I WOULD like a ferry to Sai Kung, but I would like a reasonably slow one that only goes at weekends, so I can get there for hiking but nobody can use it for commuting and keep the area undeveloped!!! Pretty unrealistic.

Last edited by MovingIn07; 05-09-2008 at 06:03 PM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4