Like Tree16Likes

Shops and Restaurants in the Gold Coast Area

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Original Post Deleted
    Upstairs in the plaza

Original Post Deleted
    Yes. They are expensive but basically they are entirely western. So extremely familiar setup if your are an expat - No need to go to central. I use them.

I use the doctor at Hanford Garden, next door to Wellcome...he was educated in the U.K. and speaks perfect English...can't think of a good reason to chuck money away on an ex-Army medic who promotes 'natural remedies' and, what was the other one? A 1st aider air hostess...now working with the 'Anti-aging Academy'?? WTF

Sound like a pair of quacks if you ask me...my advice would be to avoid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...Aging_Medicine

civil_servant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Yes. They are expensive but basically they are entirely western.
    My Hong Kong insurance, AXA Smartcare Optimum Deluxe, covers it. It's a semi-private, fully refundable local Hong Kong plan.
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Dashwood:
    Sound like a pair of quacks if you ask me...my advice would be to avoid.
    Just like any doctor in Hong Kong, just take what you need and decline what you're not comfortable with. He's not the first Doctor I've met who have prescribed vitamins. Dr Henderson takes at least 20 minutes to examine his patients to make a proper diagnosis. I've been very satisfied with his diagnosis in the past. When my boy had a congested chest in the morning he advised us to come back in the afternoon free of charge to see whether the symptoms would improve on their own throughout the day before prescribing antibiotics. When his chest was still congested by the afternoon, he did not advise quackery, but prescribed a full dose of antibiotics to treat the infection. When I showed up with a 41.7 degree fever, he had no qualms to get a blood test for dengue, as I just returned from Indonesia. This kind of diagnosis sure beats the average 2 minute treatment I've been given by local doctors who have one look at my boy's ear, see a red dot, and prescribe antibiotics. There have been 5 times where I've refused antibiotics and asked for symptomatic treatment first. 4 times, my boys recovered on their own as they suffered a viral infection, the other times, the doctor diagnosed bronchitis even though the chest was clear, and it ended up being an ear infection when I took him back the next day, which did require antibiotics, and I had no qualms about treating that. Right treatment, wrong diagnosis.
    Beuze, shri, HK_Katherine and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by nagernager:
    Just like any doctor in Hong Kong, just take what you need and decline what you're not comfortable with. He's not the first Doctor I've met who have prescribed vitamins. Dr Henderson takes at least 20 minutes to examine his patients to make a proper diagnosis. I've been very satisfied with his diagnosis in the past. When my boy had a congested chest in the morning he advised us to come back in the afternoon free of charge to see whether the symptoms would improve on their own throughout the day before prescribing antibiotics. When his chest was still congested by the afternoon, he did not advise quackery, but prescribed a full dose of antibiotics to treat the infection. When I showed up with a 41.7 degree fever, he had no qualms to get a blood test for dengue, as I just returned from Indonesia. This kind of diagnosis sure beats the average 2 minute treatment I've been given by local doctors who have one look at my boy's ear, see a red dot, and prescribe antibiotics. There have been 5 times where I've refused antibiotics and asked for symptomatic treatment first. 4 times, my boys recovered on their own as they suffered a viral infection, the other times, the doctor diagnosed bronchitis even though the chest was clear, and it ended up being an ear infection when I took him back the next day, which did require antibiotics, and I had no qualms about treating that. Right treatment, wrong diagnosis.
    Totally agree. I've seen him for things that required specific medical intervention and got it. He also helped me optimise my (poor) health insurance by telling me where I could buy follow-on meds without having to come back for another appointment. The physio up there was excellent treating my broken ankle and my achilles tendonitis. And no worse than anyone else with the adhesive capsulitis.

No Smog filled streets?

When was that beautiful poem written?

OP - what has been said is true............BUT there is always a but.

It all depends on you and your needs. True you can find stuff in TM and nearby but if you are into say:
    - Good western style Restaurant (Say La Vache in Soho or Catalunya in Wanchai etc etc you see what I mean) - then you are in for a poor time
    - Drinks where nice people hangout (say around Wyndham etc etc), then you are in for a poor time
    - Clothes shopping etc is inexistant in GC but all generic brands will be in TM...that said again if you are into stuff a bite more different (Say Club Monaco etc etc) - you are in for a poor time
    - Shows (ie at the cultural center or Wan Chai) then you are in for a poor time

It all depends what you are really after. GC is not a bad place if you are not too fused and can do without your edgy cappucio made by that cute gewilo down on Peel Street (just an example), or love buying stuff around at Tree and GOD, or you really like those heathy sandwiches at Mana etc etc etc.

But for day to day stuff (simple shopping, simple food and generic brands) then GC and TM are very fine. As JK said the GC is offering decent Malaysian and good dim sum as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdollars:
    No Smog filled streets?

When was that beautiful poem written?
    Before INXS was banned so say 2 years ago

When I lived at the GC in the mid-90s there was a hoverferry to Central near the City Hall.

After that was stopped around 98 there was a Catamaran.

Unfortunately that was also scrapped which is such a shame.

Now you only have the shuttle bus or double decker.

We were jealous of the DB crowd because their ferry ran all night on the hour. Trying to get back from Central in the wee hours was a pain. Either expensive taxi or many minibuses.

Bring back the hoverferry!!!

HK_Katherine likes this.