Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By tparker
  • 1 Post By life in hk

Expats living in Fotan/Shatin area

Closed Thread

Expats living in Fotan/Shatin area

Hi everyone,

Any expats living in this area?

I was wondering if anyone lives near Fotan station area? Or Shatin?

How are you liking the area? Am gathering research on how expats find the area.

I am in the UK, but when I go back to HK, I stay in this area up in the mountains in a village (Wong Chuk Yeung) but it is normally like for a week/month. There are expats in the village, but as I stay for a short time, I don't get to know their views or get to know them.

On a side note, if you like the area, please recommend this area to friends. It seems not that many people know this side of HK.

Thanks

Hi

Just to clarify, it is Wong Chuk Yeung in Fotan Shatin, and not the Ma On Shan Wong Chuk Yeung.

There are 2 different ones. The above map is incorrect for the place I normally stay at. The Wong Chuk Yeung I stay at is near Fotan station.

Last edited by life in hk; 22-08-2021 at 09:54 PM. Reason: More info
    East_coast likes this.

A nice quaint little village you stay at... for 13 years I went to school up the next valley and yet never noticed this hidden community until very recently.

Terrible phone signal and lack of fibre internet definitely an issue!

Anyways said friend has just moved away citing limited preschool options nearby. I've lived in various combinations of "middle of nowhere" most of my life: but the steep hill and almost non-existent minibus there would be an issue.

I also find Sha Tin too crowded these days - as it has been for years already. Not old enough for some character (like Yuen Long or the many rejuvenating factory districts), yet not new enough to be shiny.

Eva C, Skyhook and Jillypots like this.

Hi,

Have you been to the hike that is next to the village? Lots of people go there.

There is a minibus that goes up there, 2 in the morning and 1 in the evening. Other times it is taxi ride or walk down/up. Have seen people walk up in the evening after work if they missed the minibus. But most expat who live there seem to have a car.

Regarding phone signal and internet, not really sure as village is developing and there have been improvements to the signalling. I heard that the village had fibre installed 1 or 2 years ago.

When i stayed there, wifi internet was ok.

Heard there is a new public housing in the area with supermarkets, restaurants nearby. Haven't been. I suppose with a new public housing there should be more schools, but unsure.

Anyway, good to hear different views so I can feedback to people in the areas.

Last edited by life in hk; 23-08-2021 at 12:46 AM. Reason: More info

The new estate is where they quarantined people earlier in the pandemic. Yes, the few restaurants and shops there are no doubt welcome... but the 15 minute uphill walk home still not ideal. Minibus very infrequent. Fibre Internet: there has been talk and slow progress, but not available yet. It's Netvigator 8Mbps ADSL at the moment: or patchy 4G.

Anyways, seems a nice community nonetheless, with a few friendly neighbours. And of course, it's only one of many villages scattered around Sha Tin district.

The upcoming more direct MTR connection to Central will definitely be welcome.