Po Toi O & ferry from Tai Miu Wan

Closed Thread

Po Toi O & ferry from Tai Miu Wan

I'm planning a gentle hike over Junk Peak (from north to south) and then want to finish somewhere I can get beer and food. It seems that the only option (apart from the Golf Club which I wouldn't be allowed near) is Po Toi O. Can anyone confirm if there are suitable places to eat and drink there that are open on a midweek mid-afternoon?

I would also prefer if there were places which had straightforward menus with prices on since I really don't care for all the palaver of selecting seafood from tanks, haggling about prices, worrying about being ripped off and so on. Even when doing this with locals they often feel a bit cheated, so a couple of gweilos have no chance.

If that isn't possible then is there anywhere to have beers and some food at Clearwater Bay Beach?

Having done late lunch we would then need to get back to HK Island. I see from the Transport Department website that there should be a ferry on Thursdays which leaves Tung Lung Chau at 5:30pm and goes via Tai Miu Wan (Joss House Bay) Pier (at about 5:45 I assume) to Sai Wan Ho. Can anyone who has done this recently confirm that this is real and reliable?

Po Toi O is a village and so it has a few places to eat. Simple stuff as I recall, no big seafood restaurants.

I'm surprised the ferry would call in at Joss House Bay on a weekday (it is deserted) so can't confirm that.

There are plenty of pictures online of 50+ seat places in Po Toi O...

Anybody with any real information rather than speculation?

Only going from memory, not speculating. Look for online pictures if you wish.

Po Toi O has a few large sea food restaurants, they have menu in English and u dont really need to pick ur own seafood if your not into that. Prices are reasonable and you wont get fleeced if u pick from the menu.

If you just want to sit down and have a drink and some snacks then u can go to Tai Au Mun and u will see a round about. by the round about their is a little restaurant type shop with noodles etc. u should be able to buy some beers their.

From their u can take the #16 Green Mini bus to Po Lam MTR station or get off at Hang Hau MTR station and go to HK Island, much faster than taking a ferrry.

Thanks very much for that helpful advice wtbhotia. I assume at least some of these places are open mid-week mid-afternoon (say if we arrive around 2-3pm)?

I'm interested in the ferry because I like ferries (and I may well meet a mate for a beer in Sai Wan Ho when it gets there). Time is rarely of the essence for me these days. Anyone know about it?

I must apologise profusely to bookblogger.

On finishing our hike in Po Toi O today at about 2:15pm, we found that it was indeed just a little village - nothing like Sok Kwu Wan or Lei Yue Mun as we had somehow expected. There were only two restaurants that showed any sign of being alive midweek; both of them refused us service (closed after lunch) and neither of them looked like it would have an English menu.

It's not somewhere I would recommend gweilos go to eat.

I've only been at night a few times and its not bad and they do have a menu in English, well the place by the pier did. Where did u eat then.

So did u manage to get the boat to Sai Wan Ho.

Nope - because we couldn't find anywhere to eat we weren't going to hang around to see if the boat turned up at 5:30, So we came back into town and had an excellent late afternoon / evening at the Discovery Forest Bar on top of the DB ferry pier.

The hike along the High Junk Peak Country Trail (with a diversion over High Junk Peak itself) was excellent though - thoroughly recommended.