Like Tree6Likes

new neighbours noisey dogs..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

new neighbours noisey dogs..

Goodmorning - well its an early one at any rate. but welcome - join me on a rant..

I have new downstairs neighbours and they have just moved in 5 dogs - well not exactly moved in - they seem to have invited a pack of mongrels to live in their garden..

I am not sure of the legal aspects of this - but after being well P'd off by being woke up at 6 am for the 3rd morning in a row - I am not the early riser normally but I *decided* to go downstairs and bang on my neighbours window to ask him if he minded keeping his dogs indoors until a reasonable hour - he didnt seem too pleased - but I heard a few appreciative yells in chinese from the balconies,,,

we are in the middle of the villiage so I dont think there's much chance of burgulary..

what may I do to reinforce the message that his dogs are displaying unacceptable behaviour - I am not against dogs per se

I am resigned to the fact that my balcony is out of bounds - having 5 dogs lunging skywards with jaws agape snapping is making me hang my washing out quicker....

But can I at least get more than 4 hours kip? or do I have to go to bed at 10pm?

or is my only satisfaction stomping my feet- on the way to my morning abulations?? hey have we learned something from that 5 year old kid rollerskating upstairs?

cant sleep in sai kung! what to do?

Last edited by audiot; 21-12-2009 at 07:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by audiot:
    - well not exactly moved in - they seem to have invited a pack of mongrels to live in their garden..
    Do you think the dogs have been registered and micro-chipped? If not then report them to the authorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Hunter:
    Do you think the dogs have been registered and micro-chipped? If not then report them to the authorities.
    You'd wanna do that anonymously, because if the neighbour happens to be one of the indigenous families of that village, they will have no hesitation in making your life a living misery, by scratching your car, smashing the windows of your visitors cars, and worse, just to be spiteful in return. If they own 5 nasty dogs, they aren't going to be the nicest of people.

The ultrasonic dog whistle or dog silencer idea sounds good, and is the most sensible suggestion, I am sure they can be purchased online, and will be the most effective counter measure.

Talk to the neighbouring house tenants and get a consensus about the noise. Once approached by a mob of angry locals it will sort the problem quick smart. It worked for us in Ting Kok with the same scenario.

FYI - always mention the big rise in mosquitoes around the area attracted by the food and the dogs mess.

i feel for you Audiot, i have the same sort of problem, one of the local indigenous villagers has 3 mongrels on the gf of his house, he lives on the top floor, everytime someone walks past his house, they are barking like mad, he lets them roam around during the day and i have had to beat them a few times away from my dogs while walking past, i have seen them try to attack other people walking their dogs past his house.

Are your new neighbours local villagers or locals from the outside. if you have been living in your village for sometime then you should know other villagers and get them involved like what boris said.

hey thanks for your thoughts!

I think banging on his window wasnt the friendliest response to his dogs - but after 3 days of dog alarm I sort of wasnt feeling friendly and patient - and I am naturally grumpy in the mornings anyways.. - 6am seemed like the right time to go and ask him to go and keep his dogs quiet -

I will wait and see if he at least keeps them indoors until at least 8 am.. they are barking right outside my window - I have ear plugs in already from "ambient" sai kung dog ! - but this is ridiculously loud - I actually have a sound meter - so I shall be quite prepared to make some scientific measurements on this!

I will go and check out some pet stores and see if I can get a whistle - to retaliate a little more subtlety and next level

altho I could resume my aerobics work out if he likes .. maybe he will connect my bad temper = stomp stomp?

anyone remember that episode of "spaced" where Mike and marsha working out?

altho the dog kidnapping episode coiuld also be applicable!

is there any legal options regarding noise? or is it more if they attack people?

I did see him hitting one of the dogs today - do the SPCA have powers here?

thanks!

Very sorry for you. We had 4 glorious years in Sai Kung in a lovely quiet cul-de-sac. Then we had new neighbours move into the downstairs who had 2 rottweilers.

To cut a long story short we moved. It was 12 months of hell. When they weren't barking they were tearing each other apart. No matter how many complaints + police reports were made by most of the neighbours nothing changed. Then it has a knock-on effect as new prospective tenant to the area think it is ok to bring their dogs as well and it snowballs.

As others have said directly dealing with them is tricky. I've heard too many retaliation stories to know you need to tread carefully. Amongst the stories I have heard, a dead rat being placed in the engine bay of the car was the sneakiest and the most serious was the gas bottle bomb pushed up against the front door. I think the last story was reported in the SCMP a year or so ago.

Good luck.

I think it really depends what your neighbours are like. If I were you I would talk to your other neighbours and then go visit the noisy dog owners and share the group concern. If they are reasonable I don't see why they won't try to help. Have you actually gone to speak to them?

The problem with noisy dogs is that their barking is often not within the owner's control, as it is often just the dog's character. I have three dogs and one is a terrible barker. Drives me nuts so I know it does other people too. I have tried everything, from when she was a little puppy, to stop it but nothing works. Now I keep them all in the house until 8:30 or 9am so at least they don't disturb people too early.

Do you know if your new neighbors own or lease? I think many of the lease contracts have a nasty clause that empowers the landlord to require the tenant to vacate the animals if neighbors or building management lodge more than one formal complaint. The landlord may not of course decide s/he wants to boot the animals and thus the tenant, and certainly actually going down this road is a very very nasty thing. However, a discussion with your discourteous neighbor implying that you are aware of the above possibility may help without requiring you to trigger the nuclear option. 5 dogs does seem a bit outrageous for a multi-unit residence.

not sure about the lease.

and for the record I do like dogs ! I had an alsatian for years and I love my friends husky!

- what I dont think is they have right to ruin my day thru lack of sleep!

I did wake him as rudely and thoughtlessly as his dogs did me - and I do feel worried and anxious about my own spontaneous behaviour now.. the only thing I can thank is my self control for being err relatively polite if somewhat heated tone - please thanks u's etc..

I really hope it is the end- luckily I dont have a car- or friends that visit either! altho I bought and moved into the place over a year now...

thanks and if it goes quiet here you know one of those mongrels got me!!!

Last edited by audiot; 21-12-2009 at 10:50 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast