Olympics.. opportunity to demonize China...?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Never been quite sure when where the fear of China started in the West. Was it during the McCarthy era with a 'red under every bed' and the 'yellow peril' or does it predate that? Can some one enlighten me? Is there even vaguely even validity to the fears? The Chinese aren't exactly into world domination are they? Unlike America who seems to try to export their culture at every turn through movies, advertising and McDonalds and Coca Cola.

Quote Originally Posted by goleoboy:
    I think at the end of the day, economics drives all 'political' decisions anyways... and i do see that the west, esp the US, is indeed threatened by emerging markets in Asia. Doesn't bode well as American still have the largest voice on the world stage... I do agree that if China is to have a profile in the international arena, it needs to develop a thicker skin and be more well-polished - something american politicians have always been known for (ie. stage presence)... heck an actor for US president and the "Terminator" as the CA governor- need I say more? and with the current election looking more like a year long run of American Idol... it doesn't look like it'll get any better anytime soon...

China has been closed off not only economically and politically from the rest of the world - and what it needs is a PR dept that can spin a story as good as the rest of them...
    what interests me is that even an acknowledgment that something is wrong in Sudan hasnt been forthcoming.

Your right goleoboy maybe the US should stop this democracy sheah of electing who ever their citizens want and just appoint 'propah' officials ala China?

I am sorry but this rambling just comes across as a big time Inferiority Complex. People all over the world realize the importance of china and India as markets as well as big time inflation sinks (though prob we need newer sources of cheap labor for that now).

its called setting a bad precedent ...for china who knows that genocides are endemic to africa and they dont want to be in the game of having to push buttons on rich genocidal maniacs providing cheap resources...

It was also decided by one informed poster that spielberg is 'dumb'. Well the fact of the matter is Steven Spielberg doesnt need the Beijing olympics. He is clearly in a legacy mode in his career..that was prob why he wanted to do this. With so much bad press on this stuff ..and probably the inside knowledge that a group of nobel laureates were gonna petition China his step is actually quite logical ...at least to the lay sane person. Doesnt quite want to be a Wagner ....quite understandable.

The USSR used to indulge in this a lot back in the day. " WE do the crap we do int he world becos the west does this and that is so much worse"....so the old argument of we kill 9 bcos 'we think' they kill 10.

Fair enough , but once you realize this its time to step down from the moral high ground and wade in shite like the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by MS@HK:

Your right goleoboy maybe the US should stop this democracy sheah of electing who ever their citizens want
    As long as they are multi-millionnaires with powerful connections of course....

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    As long as they are multi-millionnaires with powerful connections of course....
    The US chooses from people who choose to run. Not perfect, but I wouldn't trade it for the Chinese method.
    Nor, for that matter, for the HK method.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth:
    The US chooses from people who choose to run. Not perfect, but I wouldn't trade it for the Chinese method.
    Nor, for that matter, for the HK method.
    Don't disagree, just nit-picking over the previous quote about people being able to choose the person they want in the US. I would rephrase your quote above as the US chooses from people who choose to run, and have the millions to be able to afford to do so. Not that perfect democracy occurs anywhere in the world I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MS@HK:

Your right goleoboy maybe the US should stop this democracy sheah of electing who ever their citizens want
    Remember the good old days of 2000....

1. Each country has its own agendas and are free to pursue the path they want (backed by their military might). The whole "superpowers must restrain themselves" is pure BS. Roman Empire? British Empire? Macedonia?
    2. The strongest countries/region (US, China, Russia, EU) are all guilty of human rights violations, weapons proliferation, etc.
    3. Weaker countries, if given the chance, would do exactly the same thing. You think Greece won't invade Turkey if it had a huge military advantage? Mongolia used to be quite docile until it decided to take over most of Asia under Genghis Khan.
    4. Spielberg is famous, but not relevant to Darfur or China and does not represent all Americans. He simply bowed to peer pressure. It was a personal choice.
    5. A crime is not excusable simply because the accuser or key witness is another criminal. US can condemn China for Darfur, and it's equally alright for China to condemn US for Iraq.
    6. Can China do more in Darfur to save lives? Sure. Can USA stop interfering in other countries? Sure. Will they? Not likely. Who's worse? I can't say for sure.

I see a lot of people taking one side over another without judging each action on its own merit. I grew tired of the party-line Conservatives vs Liberals debates in the US and now find the same polarizing debates here.

Is there anybody left who is objective and non-judgmental?

Quote Originally Posted by chowfun:

Is there anybody left who is objective and non-judgmental?
    No and there never was. We are all subject to our own cultural backgrounds and experiences so we are all subjective and judgemental. Anyone who claims otherwise is in self-denial. I like to think I am tolerant, objective and non-judgemental but I know its really BS as I discover every time some Honky pushes me on the mtr or ..... the list is endless. Just as well I am English and therefore confident in my superiority not like those arrogant Yanks

Well said Chowfun - i totallly agree with you here. I don't see this kind of debate as a negative thing though, it's more healthy thought-provoking than anything else. HAven't seen this thread turning to personal attacks etc... so that's cool. Also note the 'majority popular vote' doesn't elect the pres in the US, it's the delegates who really decide the outcome - of course ++ $$$$ and personal endorsement from Oprah... :-P

every time some Honky pushes me on the mtr or .
    totally off topic but:

"honky" - I haven't heard that term in ages, but I'm guessing you mean Hong Kongers rather than white people?