Beijing reminds foreigners to behave during Olympics

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

From Reuters, in the Sydney Morning Herald today:

June 2, 2008 - 5:14PM

The organisers of this summer's Beijing Olympics have reminded foreigners coming to China for the Games to behave, warning them that everything from protesting without permission to sleeping outdoors is banned.

The extensive list, written only in Chinese and put on the organisers' official website (The Official Website of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games), also said that that buying Olympics' tickets did not guarantee a visa into the country.

Entry would be banned to anyone who was intent on "subversion" upon arriving in China, those with mental illnesses and sexually transmitted diseases and people who wished to engage in prostitution, the rules read.

"Foreigners must respect Chinese laws while in China and must not harm China's national security or damage social order," the rules said.

The stability-obsessed government, determined to ensure the Olympics go off without a hitch, has in the last several months tightened controls on visas, residence permits for foreigners, and places of entertainment.

The handbook warns the estimated 500,000 overseas visitors who are expected to come to Beijing this August that China is still a country with many off-limits areas and beholden to bureaucracy and public security organs.

"Not all of China is currently open to foreigners, and if foreigners do not have permission they should not go into areas not opened it," it reads.

"Foreigners must carry with them relevant documents. The police, in the course of doing their job, have the right to check foreigners' passports and other documents," the handbook says, adding foreigners must register with the police upon arrival.

The government has denied keeping a blacklist of what it considers potentially troublemaking journalists, but is desperate to avoid activists from human rights or pro-Tibet groups from staging protests at the Games, hence tougher visa controls.

"Foreign spectators will not necessarily automatically get visas just because they have bought Olympic tickets, and still need to apply for visas in accordance with the rules at Chinese embassies," the list says.

The handbook also outlines six activities which are illegal at cultural or sporting events, which include waving "insulting banners", attacking referees or players and smoking or lighting fireworks in venues.

And you can forget about sleeping outdoors to save a bit of money.

It's banned, in order to "maintain public hygiene and the cultured image of cities".

Reuters

Beijing reminds foreigners to behave during Olympics - News - Travel

Nothing outrageous there...

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    How 'bout: Entry would be banned to anyone who was intent on "subversion" upon arriving in China, those with mental illnesses and sexually transmitted diseases...

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Will there be boxes on the visa application forms for this? Because how else will the border guards know whether someone has a mental illness (most are not always accompanied by outward physical signs!) or a sexually-transmitted disease (well other than having everyone's genitals swabbed on arrival and then have them sit in a room to await the results).

ontheroad - don't most countries have a health declaration that needs to be filled in before entering?

What is the Inspection Process?
    A: All persons arriving at a port-of-entry to the United States are subject to inspection by U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officers. CBP Officers will conduct the Immigration, Customs and Agriculture components of the Inspections process. If a traveler has health concerns, he/she will be referred to a Public Health Officer for a separate screening.
    Ok, perhaps mental illness is a bit of a stretch - as it probably rules out half the american population that consumes prozac and xanax like peanuts.

I didn't want to go anyway, neither did I.

Entry would be banned to anyone who was intent on "subversion"
    I cannot imagine any government that would be happy to let such people enter their country.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheroad:
    How 'bout: Entry would be banned to anyone who was intent on "subversion" upon arriving in China, those with mental illnesses and sexually transmitted diseases...
    That applies to a lot of countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    Not really sure what: "...adding foreigners must register with the police upon arrival." means.

So, if I fly into Beijing, where do I register? Immigration card details enough? Visa application details enough? Or where do I see the police to register?

I think going through immigration qualifies as registering. Atleast for short term stays. Long term seems to be diff.

Don't quote me though if you get arrested for not showing up at the nearest PSB.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast