Language problem: "It's a cinch"

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Oh BTW, agnesscope and agneschan is the same person!

Everyone has their pet phrases. Jay says "a piece of cake", I often say "easy peasy (lemon squeezy)" or "and Bob's your uncle". "It's a cinch" is not uncommon either.

As MrMoo has pointed out "I owe you an apology" is often used post-situationally, and as I have pointed out it often pretexts an explanation of why the speaker is sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by agneschan:
    Yes, this is what I think. Most people I heard say "it's easy" or "it's a piece of cake" but I wonder how OFTEN people say "it's a cinch"?

Also, how often people SAY "I owe you an apology"? coz "I'm sorry" is good enough and there's not much chance to use the longer phrase. It sounds quite wordy.
    Last edited by hottie; 11-08-2007 at 07:24 PM.

OIC. Thank you all so much! I've learned a lot from you guys!

Never understood 'it's a cinch' to mean 'easy' but to mean it is certain - 'Will you win the marathon this year?' 'Oh yes - it's a cinch'

A cinch is the leather strap used to fasten a western saddle. It differs from an english girth in that a girth buckles while a cinch has to be tied. 'Cinch it tight' means to pull it tight - as in 'when you tie down the baggage make sure you cinch it tight

A cinch is also a type of knot.

It really depends with "its a cinch".. i almost never hear it said anymore, and is definitly one of those phrases that will be lesss and less spoken over the years. You CAN say it and people will understand you, but don't get caught into saying it too often or it just sounds strange.
    Many people who speak english as a 2nd language have one of those catch phrases they learned in class, which is cool the 1st time, funny the 2nd, and annoying the 10th. "its" or more commonly "thats" (careful with usage of it/that/this) easy is always the safest bet.

Thanks very much, Soulglider. You've given me so much more information about this simple phrase. And thanks so much for those who responded to this question. I have learned so much from you!!

I heard this phrase in Roadshow by Calvin Sun, one of those English tutor 'Kings' in tutorial schools. He proudly said if people are bored of "It's easy / it's a piece of cake", they can say "It's a cinch". But it's soooooooo odd to me and I wonder how many native Eng. speakers actually use it, so I raised the question here to confirm.

It's interesting that the tutor kings like teaching catch phrases that people actually don't use in daily life to students. Fine when they know how to use it, and use it occasionally, but students like sprinkling these phrases in their essay to impress the markers. But the essay turns out to be really awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulglider009:
    It really depends with "its a cinch".. i almost never hear it said anymore, and is definitly one of those phrases that will be lesss and less spoken over the years. You CAN say it and people will understand you, but don't get caught into saying it too often or it just sounds strange.
    Many people who speak english as a 2nd language have one of those catch phrases they learned in class, which is cool the 1st time, funny the 2nd, and annoying the 10th. "its" or more commonly "thats" (careful with usage of it/that/this) easy is always the safest bet.

The phrase actually originated as a nautical phrase - a cinch knot is very tight and secure knot that will not come undone - therefore the meaning of 'it's a cinch' is to be certain. It certainly isn't a commonly used phrase though.

Thanks so much l_steyn! I've learned a lot from you! The originality of the phrase is interesting.
    I've talked to the guy who suggested that phrase. He said he'd like to suggest an alternative way to mean the same thing, and he believed he could spice up the spoken language by that phrase.
    What do you guys think about that? I wonder how native English speakers would think if a person says "it's a cinch" when "it's easy" can do a better job. He said he came across this phrase in the US when teens said that. I'd like to confirm if it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by l_steyn:
    The phrase actually originated as a nautical phrase - a cinch knot is very tight and secure knot that will not come undone - therefore the meaning of 'it's a cinch' is to be certain. It certainly isn't a commonly used phrase though.

it was common when i was growing up, i use it very occasionally....

How about 'it's a doddle'...or is that a 'North East of England' saying?