Language problem: "It's a cinch"

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

One of the joys of english in particular is how words and phrases change meaning over time. Look at the word 'gay' for example - 50 yrs ago (or less) it only meant 'happy' and now it has a totally different meaning.

The language you use also reveals a great deal about your age, nationality & social status.

How about the following:
    As easy as pie
    No sweat
    It's a walk in the park
    It's a breeze
    No problem
    As easy as taking candy from a baby

I forgot as easy as shooting fish in a barrel.

How about these?

To live on easy street - to have an easy life

A sitting duck - an easy target.

Easy money - money that wasn't hard to get. Usually used for a quick and easy job - how would you like to earn some easy money
    Similar idioms are money for jam or money for old rope.

Easy come, easy go - indicates a relaxed attitude. Eg 'Wow that was very expensive to give away!' 'Oh easy come easy go.'

Plain sailing - no obstacles in your path.

Over here(East coast USA), noone really uses I 'owe you an apology' or I 'am sorry'. It's sorta replaced with 'my bad'(slang- and yes, bad has suddenly become a noun), especially with the younger generation.

Also, 'it's a cinch' or 'it's easy' is also on the decline for daily use. It's been replaced with 'money'(another slang). I'm assuming it's derived from 'on the money', which is synonymous with easy-if that makes any sense.

You'll most likely never learn this in a classroom setting but pick it up in your conversations with people on the streets. The dictionary(such as Webster's always seem to lag when it comes to new words and slangs).

Quote Originally Posted by l_steyn:
    Plain sailing - no obstacles in your path.
    Or more accurately, originally at least, "Plane sailing" - meaning easy to navigate / do.

Plain sailing is easy and unubstructed. Eg once we overcame the difficulties the rest of the job was plain sailing. The phrase is nautical in origin and dates from the 1700's. The following website is very useful:

Http://www.phrases.org.uk

Indeed - but the originally correct spelling was "plane" - it refers to sailing along a line of constant latitude (a plane), which was the only reliable way of navigating in the days before accurate chronometers.

Plane sailing, is as you say, the art of estimating a ship's position on the assumption that the earth is flat (a plane) using a line of parallel from the port of origin

Plain sailing has it's origin in 1683 by Adam Martindale - spelt 'plain' - "for ship's boys - plain sailing made plain".
    It seems from this source that 'plain' is the original & earliest use although 'plane' is also used.
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/plain-sailing.html