Language Advice requested

Closed Thread

Language Advice requested

Hello,

I will be traveling to Hong Kong and mainland China around April 2008 and would like some advice on the language situation of Hong Kong.

I represent an oil and gas energy company and will mainly be meeting with bankers, university people, and other people in the energy industry in Hong Kong, and then traveling to mainland China to evaluate what possibilities are available, if any.

I know I will have to learn Mandarin as that is used all over mainland China. My question is this: To be taken seriously in Hong Kong will it be a necessity to learn Cantonese also or is English widely enough used (and accepted) by business men and women to get by with only learning Mandarin?

Thanks in advance,

Tyler

Language in Hong Kong

Hi,

Hong Kong is an international cosmopolitan city that English is widely accepted in the business world as well as when you are at leisure. Of course, there are still places in Hong Kong that people might not understand English that well but you will still be taken seriously.

Wish you a nice stay in Hong Kong,

Schisandra88

You will be taken seriously if you speak English. But if you want to make a better impression by using Chinese in Hong Kong you should definetely use Cantonese and not Mandarin. Learning even a little Cantonese is always very much appreciated here. No use using Mandarin with local HK people since most of them speak English better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerElls:
    Hello,

...I represent an oil and gas energy company and will mainly be meeting with bankers, university people, and other people in the energy industry in Hong Kong, and then traveling to mainland China to evaluate what possibilities are available, if any....
    Tyler
    In Hong Kong, everyone you speak to in these industries will speak English (if THEY want to be taken seriously)...you will have no need of Mandarin or Cantonese while here...unless you go local for lunch/dinner or shopping, and even then, most service staff will speak enough English to help you out...

I would think the same applies in China, but Mandarin (Putonghua) will help (and impress people).

It's doubtful you could learn Cantonese fluently enough to impress locals in 5 months...but they would be amused and appreciate the effort...
    Last edited by timklip; 20-11-2007 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Thanks for the replies!

I guess based on this I'll go full force in learning Mandarin, and then maybe a small amount of Cantonese to get around in HK.

I've been given leave to use whatever I have to become fluent... tapes, tutors, whatever I want... so I think 4-5 months should be adequate. I know I'll struggle with the tonality.

Anyway, thanks again.

-Tyler

hi

just in case if you want to know basic or advanced cantonese, just go to this url - http://www.cantonese.ca/index.html

I found it extremely useful, but yes u can easily get by without learning any cantonese...

laterzzz