Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dankleness

Swahili Lessons

Closed Thread

Swahili Lessons

Would love to start learning the language for future travel there, but am struggling to find resources! Interested to find any sort of exchange, lessons, etc. Please let me know if you have heard of anything!

If I had a penny for every time I have been asked for my swahili for your (insert language here)...
    Seriously though where exactly are you planning to go? It is pretty much just a second language and for the most part you will do just fine with English.

Quote Originally Posted by rathunt:
    If I had a penny for every time I have been asked for my swahili for your (insert language here)...
    Seriously though where exactly are you planning to go? It is pretty much just a second language and for the most part you will do just fine with English.
    Like Cantonese

Just spend this weekend watching "The Gods Must Be Crazy" over and over again. You'll pick it up in no time. It's a fantastic movie to boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Dankleness:
    Just spend this weekend watching "The Gods Must Be Crazy" over and over again. You'll pick it up in no time. It's a fantastic movie to boot!
    Isn't the language in that movie Tswana?

Op - maybe get this book: http://shop.lonelyplanet.com/africa/...-phrasebook-4/
    Last edited by drumbrake; 01-02-2013 at 12:22 PM.

OK, than watch Shaka Zulu.

Eric / quant18's blog may be a good place to start. According to him Shenzhen may be better for studying Swahili than Hong Kong, assuming you read Chinese.

http://notlearningcantonese.posterou...ina-not-learni

Zulu and Zulu Dawn - great movies CC, good call.

closedcasket likes this.

I am most interested in coffee growing regions, ie Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Burundi, Rwanda. English works too but I would much rather have the ability to speak the local language if possible! Do you teach lessons or know anyone that does?

Quote Originally Posted by courtneyann:
    I am most interested in coffee growing regions, ie Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda, Burundi, Rwanda. English works too but I would much rather have the ability to speak the local language if possible! Do you teach lessons or know anyone that does?
    I am from tanzania and speak Swahili..am not a native and need to brush up abit now but can help with the basics. PM me if you are not able to find any tutor.