English Speaker to learn Chinese Character

Closed Thread

English Speaker to learn Chinese Character

Hi,

I've grew up in Canada and have arrived in HK 4mths ago. I've some experience in teaching English and my conversational Cantonese is fairly decent, but now looking to learn how to read and write Chinese characters.

I live close to Mong Kok, my hours are flexible. PM me if interest.

Thx.

Smile Teaching Chinese Characters

Hi Ken6602,你好!when browsing on net looking for language exchange partner, I'm glad to have seen your post. Im 29 years old, Cantonese native speaker and fluent in Mandarin. I can assist you in your way learning to write chinese. I grew up in HK where traditional chinese character prevails, depending on your need I could also offer help in teaching simplified chinese characters, only on two conditions, first, teach me english in return and second, be my friend! I live in TST which is near to MongKok. My schedule is widely opened so we can make plans to meet on a regular basis. If you feel interested pls send me a reply [email protected] 再見!!! Carmen

No problem on your conditions, but those are mighty tall orders; let's hope I can meet your standards. =)

Dear Ken6602

I am HK local and I would like to improve my english. I have never learnt how to teach Cantonese or Chinese character, I believe the best way of learning chinese character is learn it in your life. I am also interested to meet some friend, I worked in Kowloon and available after working houring, please call me if you are interested.

Cheers

Chris

Ken,

i am a 22 y.o. local girl and would like to improve my spoken english. i think i can help u to learn chinese writing and reading.

pls send me an email if ur interested: [email protected]

Meow

If you're going to try to learn characters, it's really best to find yourself a proper teacher or school which can bring you through learning radicals, etc. Otherwise you'll merely be learning a hodgepodge of characters.

However, if your goal is simply to read a restaurant menu, then a non-professional tutor will likely suit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto:
    If you're going to try to learn characters, it's really best to find yourself a proper teacher or school which can bring you through learning radicals, etc. Otherwise you'll merely be learning a hodgepodge of characters.

However, if your goal is simply to read a restaurant menu, then a non-professional tutor will likely suit your needs.
    Well-said!

Smile English Speaker to learn Chinese Character

Hi there,

I have been doing language exchange (Spanish/Chinese) for a year and have started teaching my language exchange friend how to write. After some browsings, I have chosen this book as the basic reference tool:

"What's in a Chinese Character" published by New World Press

It has got good some reviews in both Amazon and Chinese websites. I think the book is useful in that it has got both simple and more complex words, contains the development of the writing of words and also some very humorous explanations

You can borrow a copy from the public library.

Hope this is of some help.

Mushroom

To all, thanks for the responses, advices, and link to resources.

Yes Hokuto, I've been learning hodgepodges of character and was very frustrated by having accumulated such wide vocabularies and not applying to everyday sentence structure.

Thus, I have chosen to take up two styles in learning:
    1) continue to build my vocabulary.
    2) learning the common words that's written but not spoken.

I feel this method is most productive in learning the depth of the language rather than the linear approach, where as you're just limited in learning the common phrases. However, it's very time consuming so take heed before proceeding... =)

Last edited by ken6602; 04-08-2009 at 02:11 AM.

Most of the "common words that are written and not spoken" are coming from Standard Written Chinese, which is based on Mandarin. Perhaps you'd like to invest in a Mandarin course? My understanding is that there are some decent ones here, but, being the biased person that I am, I'd recommend a study trip to a proper Mandarin-speaking place like Harbin.