Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wizardofoz

Cantonese study group

Closed Thread

Cantonese study group

Hi

I am looking for a few people motivated in studying Cantonese a few hours per week, on evening. Now, my Cantonese is very basic, and I need to find a group to motivate me, around North Point.

The purpose of the meetings would not be to practice tones or grammar, but to learn vocabulary and sentences. It's much easier to make yourself understand when you have a huge amount of vocabulary, even if your pronunciation sucks. But the opposite is not always true.

As for the content, I would like to focus on "real office situations" vocabulary. In the streets and restaurants, English and hands are enough to communicate. But in office, it can make a real difference to be able to communicate with your non English speaking colleagues.

Anyone interested ?

learning Cantonese in North Point

Hi, are you interested in learning cantonese around North Point? I will be able to help you with my native cantonese, as well as doing it somewhere in north point. Please reply me to [email protected] if you would like to proceed further.

Ta for now

SW

im native cantonese speaker, need any help?

stay at fortress and trying to learn cantonese too!

hi guys,

i'm a chinese s'porean working here for 6 months now but still sucks in cantonese. if you are meeting up around the area, i will love to join! let me know..k!

i'm in cwb, would love to join

my cantonese is survival cantonese. can i join you guys, would love to improve

Same here! I was always hoping to learn Cantonese with people who speak similar level of Cantonese to mine.

I speak just a bit better than 'survival level' Cantonese with accent (once I start talking in Cantonese, then people know I'm not a native speaker) and know quite much of those expressions on text books but am lack of vocabulary. I do not speak any other dialects of Chinese or Mandarin and only started to learn Cantonese after I came to HK which was already quite late to pick up a language without accent, therefore I think the accent is kinda unavoidable.

Anyway, I'm really keen to join you. Let me know if you organize a meet-up. Thanks!

Hi,
    I also speak survival Cantonese with a strong australian accent, recently relocated from Melb to CWB. I would be very interested in joining the study group to practice and hopefully improve my vocab.
    Also is there any good local 'community' language schools in the area which are reasonably affordable. I'm definitely keen to do a course in both oral & written chinese.
    Let me know if you plan to organise a meeting and i'll definitely tag along! Thanks

wizardofoz
    Chinese Language Program,Chinese School- The Chinese University of Hong Kong

if you can speak and write mandarin, CUHK has evening cantonese classes for mandarin speakers. classes in north point.

they also have classes for english speakers.
    Last edited by wizardofoz; 26-03-2010 at 03:01 PM.
    nance74 likes this.