Like Tree7Likes

Moving to HK Sept 20th!!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor:
    You pay 30k per month in the N.T. and your flat sucks?

I think that's more down to poor choice than what's available.
    everything is relative I guess.....but my 30K flat is the most I have ever paid for housing and it is also the worst housing I have ever lived in based on size and quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    everything is relative I guess.....but my 30K flat is the most I have ever paid for housing and it is also the worst housing I have ever lived in based on size and quality.

when we were apartment searching, we saw some places that were around 30k. they were nice. they weren't 30k nice, imho, if that's what you mean. but we saw places in FoTan that were 28k and had some pretty breathtaking views.

Quote Originally Posted by wtbhotia:
    How the heck can a 30K apartment/house suck in NT. Where area are you in.
    I tend to agree. 30K can easily get an 1000 - 1300 sq ft flat in the NT (and larger in the more outlying areas). Some of the newer developments (like Lake Silver in Ma On Shan) have very decent facilities. Alternatively 30K should get you at least two floors of a village house ~ min 1400 sq ft. So I don't think size is really an issue unless you have a really large family. Build quality is an issue but then again if it's that bad you can always walk away before signing the contract.
    wtbhotia likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Alternatively 30K should get you at least two floors of a village house ~ min 1400 sq ft.
    Yup, some duplex can still be had for 30K in our neck of the woods, very nice renovations.
    jmbf likes this.

I tend to agree. 30K can easily get an 1000 - 1300 sq ft flat in the NT (and larger in the more outlying areas). Some of the newer developments (like Lake Silver in Ma On Shan) have very decent facilities. Alternatively 30K should get you at least two floors of a village house ~ min 1400 sq ft. So I don't think size is really an issue unless you have a really large family. Build quality is an issue but then again if it's that bad you can always walk away before signing the contract.
    Again, it's all relative. How about this, 3,000 - 4,000 USD per month on housing should get you a decent bit of privacy, a backyard to run around in, a basement to store some belongings in, a garage to park your car in and at least 2,000 sq ft.

my point being that Hong Kong doesn't really have cheap, suburb alternatives for families, unless you consider spending 30K for two floors of a village house that alternative to which I go back to my original statement that my flat "sucks"

I don't know how long you have been here but you still seem to be in the mindset of comparing what you can get for your buck back home vs here. You can't really compare it like that or you are going to go nuts. HK is famous for its high costs of living. You are going to have to make some compromises, both lifestyle-wise and mentally otherwise this place is going to run you down HARD. Either that or be prepared to spend a TON trying to maintain an identical lifestyle to what you had back home

I don't know how long you have been here but you still seem to be in the mindset of comparing what you can get for your buck back home vs here. You can't really compare it like that or you are going to go nuts. HK is famous for its high costs of living. You are going to have to make some compromises, both lifestyle-wise and mentally otherwise this place is going to run you down HARD. Either that or be prepared to spend a TON trying to maintain an identical lifestyle to what you had back home
    I've been here long enough to become a PR, and I fully understand the compromises. My comments were directed at the American/newbies (not you) who was moving here. I'm trying to let people know before moving here that Hong Kong is very unique. There really is no suburb or family living option due to the small land space and border. Basically everyone lives in the city. Even in Beijing, Shanghai, KL, HCMC etc you can get larger houses with yards and spaces. Hong Kong and I suppose Sing too are unique in that you have no alternatives.....either spend a fortune or live in a "sucky" place
    jmbf likes this.