Like Tree20Likes

UK Pensions - worth continuing to contribute?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by kittykaitak:
    You needed to have three years of continuous NI contributions prior to leaving the UK to qualify for Class 2. I back-payed years I had missed and now pay via direct debit. I qualified for Class 3, my wife for Class 2. Class 2 are an absolute and ongoing bargain- Class 3 is still a very good deal.
    OK thanks, I guess its a case of me contacting HMRC to confirm but based on the information about me on the website seems I'm considered class 3.
    kittykaitak likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    OK thanks, I guess its a case of me contacting HMRC to confirm but based on the information about me on the website seems I'm considered class 3.
    Worth trying for Class 2. Three years ago I called them to back pay a bunch of Class 3 payments (having been denied Class 2 previously). They advised applying again for Class 2. Took a few months but got approved. Saved almost £5k.

SWMBO has broadly similar situation but can only get Class 3 on minor differences in criteria.

There are no doubt delays in responses from HMRC at the moment.
    pin likes this.

I am struggling to get my head round what I should be doing on this. I have quite a few years to go so don’t need to make immediate decision. Facts:

permanently left U.K.: 31.03.2014
    years of full contributions: 8
    full time working: since August 2008, shouldn’t be gaps in NI since then (to the date I left)

There is a potential I might return to the U.K. at some point but in any event is it worth me paying for the 6 missing years? Currently it seems to be quoting me Class 3 prices. Do I qualify for Class 2? I am sorry but even after reading I can’t really tell the differences in criteria.

Last edited by natino; 11-08-2020 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by natino:
    I am struggling to get my head round what I should be doing on this. I have quite a few years to go so don’t need to make immediate decision. Facts:

permanently left U.K.: 31.03.2014
    years of full contributions: 8
    full time working: since August 2008, shouldn’t be gaps in NI since then (to the date I left)

There is a potential I might return to the U.K. at some point but in any event is it worth me paying for the 6 missing years? Currently it seems to be quoting me Class 3 prices. Do I qualify for Class 2? I am sorry but even after reading I can’t really tell the differences in criteria.
    I called the overseas help number tonight, answered very quickly and I asked all my questions. They were very helpful. Seems I should be able to do Class 2. Am going to do the form and mail it off.

I left the UK around 2008 and didnt state anything. I only had a part time job at Uni paying tax, so contributed pretty much nothing.

Now I'm thinking to move back to the UK but probably won't be working. Is the UK pension still worth voluntarily contributing twards?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7