Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Venturehouse
  • 1 Post By bensearle

House/ EDM in HK

Closed Thread

House/ EDM in HK

I will be moving to HK from the UK in 2 weeks time, and will be studying over there for a year as a student. I enjoy house music and EDM and attend many events here in the UK, however I haven't heard much at all about the house/ EDM scene in HK and was hoping I would be able to get an insight into it. Is house/ EDM big in HK? What are some of the best clubs for house? How often are the bigger events? I've heard of beatship hosting an event on the 4th of September which I'm considering attending. I'm also thinking of going to don't let daddy know HK. Since I will be arriving in HK on my own and with no contacts I will have to turn up to these events on my own, but If the house scene in HK is anything like it is in the UK (everyone at events here are really welcoming) I will be able to make friends there through a mutual love of house/ EDM music. I'm intrigued to see if anyone else is in a similar position to me! Any tips would be greatly appreciated, and I can't wait to arrive in HK!

Bella_Musique10 likes this.

Fly for fancy lighting, crowded bars, hands in the air. XXX or Basement for DJs and music fans. Don't know much about newer places though.

Also hkclubbing and hongkongdj websites for event listings, and FB groups for promoters like Fresh Off The Boat and Push.

I'm in a similar position to you! Just moved here from the UK a couple of days ago to study for a year and know no one. I'm really into house and edm and am going to DLDK, so it would be good to find others before the event and to go to other places. Let me know when you arrive.

Bella_Musique10 likes this.

Did you guys enjoy DLDK? I was shocked that Skrillex couldn't make it there. Did you go levelz as well?

cream tours is here. don't forget to buy your tickets.

EKASUK

Hi, I have just moved to HK from UK also and would be keen to know if you found anywhere (and equally looking for someone to go to events with!). Feel free to drop me a PM if so!

Emma

There seems to be a bit of demand for proper dance music on here.
    I've just moved here too (from London, UK), so looking to find a good even in the near future.

EKASUK
    Quote Originally Posted by richs:
    There seems to be a bit of demand for proper dance music on here.
    I've just moved here too (from London, UK), so looking to find a good even in the near future.
    Hi richs, I found a few groups on FB 'Hong Kong ravers' and the like hoping to find something and contacted a few local people but have said nothing like the UK dance scene I am used to, not tried any of the clubs mentioned above yet. Have been a few DJ's in Macau like Tiesto and Hardwell (if like that kind of thing, not really for me) but either it doesn't exist or is really underground still.

Anyone want to chip in and buy a club!? haha!

Quote Originally Posted by EKASUK:
    Anyone want to chip in and buy a club!? haha!
    Yeah I will actually would be happy to think about a group of us organising a night at a club in HK.

In the meantime one other place to look is ResidentAdvisor. And we should really think about organising a group club night out soon!