Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By chingleutsch
  • 1 Post By IceEagle

Need Proof of US permanent resident card

Closed Thread

Exclamation Need Proof of US permanent resident card

So I finally got in the mail my final documents that I have to bring for the immigration officer to look over, but I can not reproduce one of the item on the list. Due to the fact my father's US permanent resident card has been taken back because he became an US citizen. He has his certificate of naturalization and passport, but from what he tells me the Hong Kong government is not accepting it for some reason. How do I get proof of the US permanent resident card? I do believe the green card is destroyed once the card has been given back to the US government. Please reply ASAP. Thank you.

needed for what purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    needed for what purpose?
    HKID card application.

For HKID card you don't need. Full story please...

I am in the same situation as you, where I submitted copies of my parent's certificate of naturalization, approved applications to adjust to permanent resident, and passports, because the green card was collected by the government. There isn't any way to reproduce the original anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!:
    For HKID card you don't need. Full story please...
    People who previously held Chinese passports and naturalised in another country DO actually need all the extra documentation
    shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by icrazeei:
    I am in the same situation as you, where I submitted copies of my parent's certificate of naturalization, approved applications to adjust to permanent resident, and passports, because the green card was collected by the government. There isn't any way to reproduce the original anymore.
    So I did call US immigration, they told me to either go in to the field office that they have or file a FOIA form and turn it in.
    Here the link: USCIS Freedom of Information Act and Privacy Act | USCIS

Quote Originally Posted by kechon:
    So I did call US immigration, they told me to either go in to the field office that they have or file a FOIA form and turn it in.
    That will allow you to obtain a black and white photocopy of the green card. This should be enough for ImmD.

In theory, there's a different form you fill out to obtain the actual original document (the G-884 form), but as you noted in the case of the green card, the original is destroyed, so this isn't actually possible in your case.
    shri likes this.

ImmD has approved my overseas application for both the Passport and Permanent ID, without requesting my parent's green cards. Hope it works out for you!