Like Tree3Likes

Mobile phone contracts?!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for the clarification Flat Hunter! I didn't know that :P

The best option for you is to get a SIM - only plan if you aren't sure on how long you are going to stay here. I am well aware of all the SIM plans around and since your are willing to pay as much as 20 pounds. Go for CMHK's $128 plan. It requires you to sign a 12 month contract at $128 per month plus $18 for MTR fees making a total of 12 pounds! You basically get 1GB of high-speed data with unlimited (but slower speed) data afterwards. Best if you are only browsing, facebook, instagram.

I would highly recommend the plan as they are using CSL's network thus extremely reliable yet cheap

Check it out!
    https://www.hk.chinamobile.com/en/services_plan/42mbps/

Could be a little late this...... But im from the Uk (someone hinted you might be from the UK)

I'm on the 3 Network in the UK, sim only. When i go to Hong Kong it allows me to use the sim as if i was in the UK, i pay £20 a month and get unlimited internet and x amount minutes for calls (i use the internet in HK and the free minutes i can use to call back to the UK and people in the UK can call me while im in HK with no extra charge, but the only ting i cant do is make HK to HK calls. but i have a way to get round this.

Buy a new phone in HK, no contract just phone. I recently got the Note5, this comes with dual sim (very handy) i slot my UK 3 network sim in a slot and then i buy a pay as you go sim for HK.

They work in tanden....... when someone calls you it tells you which card they calling to and same with text.

If you want to make a call you can set it to default or before you call rather than just a green to call and a red to put phone down it gives you the option to select sim1 or sim2 to call.

But if this is too much hassle..... you can still buy a phone outright then go and get a pay as you go sim. The cheapest (i was in hong kong for a year last year and i used and tried all the sims) the best for cheapest internet would prob be the China mobile one. Pay as you go with internet attached...... at the time it was something like 7 bucks a month (£0.50 a month for internet!!!!) Now thats damn cheap....... but the guy kept on telling me its slow..... slow.... slow......!!!! I think he was worried i came back complaining.

Yes it slow but i used it for facebook, emails and news reading.... which was ok. But i believe the price has gone up to 15 bucks a month (roliing) now...... it uses the 2g..... GPRS.

if you have any questions feel free to get in touch.

Just would like to share a recent experience I had with Smartone. I have a 2-year sim-only contract ($88 a month including admin fee, 1GB data, 1400min voice, additional 200MB@$40) that will expire on Feb 17, 2016. I started receiving calls from Smartone last December asking me to sign up for a new contract, but the best price they could offer me to keep the same 1GB data service (though with 2500min voice) was $210 a month ($198 + $18 admin) with a 24mo contract [the SuperCare plan].

I tried calling Smartone and even went to a Smartone shop, mentioning the plans of competitors to see if they would offer something better, but they all quoted the same price. Then with the holidays it kinda slipped my mind to do something about my contract....

But just today (two days before my current contract expires), I received a call from Smartone offering the same SuperCare 1GB plan at only $126 a month ($108 + $18 admin fee). That's a $84 a month saving compared to what was offered before!

I don't think my situation is unique, so hopefully my experience can be used as a tactic or example for anyone whose Smartone contract is expiring soon.

Last edited by cspen; 15-02-2016 at 09:18 PM.