Like Tree11Likes

Time to apply for British passport for Hk born baby

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    A bargain compared to their usual charges.
    I'm just genuinely shocked at how sizeable UK Home Office and UKVI charges now are. I know there's a large UK budget deficit to plug, but still....

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    I'm just genuinely shocked at how sizeable UK Home Office and UKVI charges now are. I know there's a large UK budget deficit to plug, but still....
    They have to pay for the MP's expenses from somewhere, those duck ponds and second homes don't come cheap you know. Plus there is their 10% salary increase to cover. We are all in this together you know.
    dossier likes this.

What happens if the parent of the child is a holder of the British Passport but not born in UK? Will his child be able to get a British Passport?

Yes, if you are a British Citizen, your children are also eligible for UK citizenship.

Ah, then I misread the info when I was naturalised as a citizen. I'll have to look into it again before I have kids!

Quote Originally Posted by jayinhongkong:
    Yes, if you are a British Citizen, your children are also eligible for UK citizenship.
    I should re-phrase my question a little:

What happens if the parent is a holder of the British Passport but not born in UK?
    (meaning the parent was born outside of UK, say Hong Kong.)

Will his child be able to get a British Passport?
    Last edited by drumurai; 12-02-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    How do you tell between the two? It is stated somewhere in the passport?

The child would not be a British Citizen at birth if born outside the UK, as the parent is already British Citizen by descent. Under certain circumstances (eg. The child would be otherwise stateless) the child can apply for British Citizenship by Registration. Look this up on the govt website.

Quote Originally Posted by drumurai:
    How do you tell between the two? It is stated somewhere in the passport?
    When you apply for a British passport for your overseas-born child, you have to submit either a parent's UK birth certificate, or a parent's British naturalisation paper. If you have neither, then your child is not a British citizen as you are British citizen by descent.