Like Tree9Likes

Anyone would want to learn skiing?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've been a skier for the last 25 years. Last year we skied in Korea and I would never ski there again. Its a great place for a beginner, but not worth it for anyone with some experience. Mountains are very small and snow nearly all man made.

I would be interested in a trip to Japan and possibly China depending on where.

Ski Japan is so easy. You book everything in one place - flights, accom, rental equip, ski lifts passes and even lessons. Someone meets you at the airport and drives you to the resort. Brings you to the rental place to get your equip and then the next day you just meet for group or individual lessons. Slopes are right at your doorstep if you want or just a short walk away if you want to save some money. It can't get any easier.

ttcookie likes this.

If you are a beginner skiier I highly recommend you take lessons first. You don't need to find partners to travel to ski hills with. Just go to a ski resort, and register for "group" ski lessons. They will put you into groups based on level of ability.

If you have a bit more money, I highly recommend getting a private ski instructor for the day. They are worth the money.

As far as Asia, Japan is by far the best. Forget Korea or China.

Australia and New Zealand have some nice resorts (don't forget, southern hemisphere)

The best skiing is obviously in Europe and North America. Alps and Rockies.

ttcookie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skierx:
    Not sure about China. What I heard wasn't so far too positive. Fake snow, very shallow hills.

BTW, the Shintani Clinic in Hakuba is very experience with all sort of snow related problems. The shoe cabinet at the entrance fits ski boots perfectly, and it does get quite full in winter. Visa happily accepted.

I've been a skier for the last 25 years. Last year we skied in Korea and I would never ski there again. Its a great place for a beginner, but not worth it for anyone with some experience. Mountains are very small and snow nearly all man made.

Good to know that. I'd love to go to Japan skiing again, been twice to Shiga Kogen and Nozawa Onsen...Shiga was great but Nozawa a bit small for me. I think Hakuba looks like a winner

Quote Originally Posted by parks:
    I'm up for that too, maybe we can get a group together?
    sure, sounds great. any idea where we'd be able to find a couple more interested parties?

Time Out Hong Kong | Travel | Asia’s best ski resorts
    just found out this link about some china skiing place. Not sure there is any useful info or not

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    If you are a beginner skiier I highly recommend you take lessons first. You don't need to find partners to travel to ski hills with. Just go to a ski resort, and register for "group" ski lessons. They will put you into groups based on level of ability.

If you have a bit more money, I highly recommend getting a private ski instructor for the day. They are worth the money.

As far as Asia, Japan is by far the best. Forget Korea or China.

Australia and New Zealand have some nice resorts (don't forget, southern hemisphere)

The best skiing is obviously in Europe and North America. Alps and Rockies.

very good comparison. Thanks.
    Open Casket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ttcookie:
    I am looking for opportunities to learn skiing and I think the upcoming Nov is a good start. Any places around here, like Japan or Northern part of China. Anyone has interest to learn or has some info to share? Thanks.
    btw, check out the following agency which I joined early this year.

KTS Korea Travel Service (HK) Co. Ltd

it's a travel agency that only does tours to South Korea. They organise many ski trips every year, There's almost one leaving every other week.

So for my trip, i went to a ski resort called High1. i left HK on Sunday night and returned on Thursday night. So we got to the ski resort on Monday early afternoon, check in to the rooms, rent the equipment and u can pretty much start skiing straight away. We left the resort at like 3pm on Wednesday, after which they brought us to another hotel in the middle of nowhere where they have hot springs, and we spent the night there. and on Thursday morning, they brought us back to Seoul, have 2,3 hours to explore the city and then back on the coach to the airport. thought the last 1.5 days was a waste of time, would rather be back on the slopes, but that's just me.

The place is pretty new, hotel's rather nice, equipment looks good to me.
    On the flip side, as someone before mentioned, the resort is great for beginners, with long green slopes but if you're intermediate or more advanced, u'll find that it's tiny and end up doing the same slopes over and over again..

The price is reasonable. $7000-$8000 for the trip including flight, ski pass, equipment, dinner and lessons.
    so if u're beginner and u're not sure if you'll like skiing (though im sure u'll fall in love with it), it's quite a good option to consider. it's cheap compared to other alternatives, albeit being rather short. but if you do like it, you can always go for longer trips and to larger resorts in the future.
    Open Casket and ttcookie like this.