Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By flameproof
  • 1 Post By drumbrake
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 4 Post By Open Casket

The school that turned Chinese

Closed Thread

The school that turned Chinese

This is referring to the 3-part fly on the wall documentary that aired recently. It was an experiment where 5 teachers from mainland China taught in a British school for 1 month and the chikdren test scores compared. Unsirprisingly the scores were higher from the Chinese method. After seeing the blend of two there are certain things each system can learn from each other.

Let me guess... 6 hours of homework per night resulted in higher test scores? Hours and hous of rote memorization at the expense of personal interaction & play? What a surprise.

Skyhook, jrkob, hullexile and 1 others like this.

The discipline in the school was shameful. I can't remember it being that bad and this was school of the year ranked by OFSTED. HK schools are more eam oriented but there are also a lot of extra curricular to stretch children in other ways.

Learning is way more efficient if you don't cultivate critical thinking.

kungpaochicken and drumbrake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle1984:
    The discipline in the school was shameful. I can't remember it being that bad and this was school of the year ranked by OFSTED. HK schools are more eam oriented but there are also a lot of extra curricular to stretch children in other ways.
    Maybe the kids were acting up for the camera; maybe the TV company encouraged the kids to act up - makes more entertaining viewing than kids sitting at their desks quietly doing their work.
    shri likes this.

Then what does that say about ofsted ranking used for school selection? That school is an 'academy' which are supposed to be better!

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Learning is way more efficient if you don't cultivate critical thinking.
    If you call that "learning".

Rob2020 likes this.

looks good