Safety of placing warm electric oven close to gas pipework

Closed Thread

Safety of placing warm electric oven close to gas pipework

Hi - I want to buy a table top oven and install it in a space under the cooker hobs in the kitchen. The space is enclosed and with the oven in place (which is smaller than the space), there would be some ventilation around the sides of the oven but not a huge amount. See attached pic.

At the back of the space there is some gas pipework and a funny solid metal rectangular thing which I have established is a "gas regulator". It's the thing in the middle left of the pic.

What I want to know is whether there would be any safety concerns about having an oven, which will give off some heat, in close proximity to that gas pipework. Whilst I dot expect the oven to produce a ton of heat externally, it will be warm and that in combination with the space being enclosed, means that the gas pipework I would expect would get at its least, warm.

Anyone have any experience / knowledge and / or can recommend a trusted expert who could do an assessment in person? Clearwater Bay / TKO area. Thanks! Name:  ImageUploadedByGeoClicks1444722286.944797.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  744.9 KB

We've had the back of our stove 2 inches away from the gas line about 3 to 3 1/2 inches away from where the flame is when it is fully lit and generating a lot of heat in the area. When we first moved it the line from the wall was connected using a steel hose. A few years after that Towngas or iCable, or whoever does the gas in our building replaced it with a rubber tube. I expressed my concern with the tube and the close proximity to the fire but the guy assured me it was fine. 12 year on we have been using the same setup, they have replaced the rubber tube several times it has not once blown up or caused a fire.

If you are really concerned, you can buy one of those foil sheets that stands up behind your stove or oven to put something between the gas line and the heat source.

Last edited by -1983-; 17-10-2015 at 04:50 PM.

Thanks for sharing your experience on this. Sounds like a similar situation and it makes a lot of sense. I've since found out you can get Towngas to send an engineer to visit for free to do a general assessment so have organised a visit to check this. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by -1983-:
    If you are really concerned, you can buy one of those foil sheets that stands up behind your stove or oven to put something between the gas line and the heat source.
    If you are really concerned better get a little piece of dry wall, that will not transfer heat. The alu sheet is more for the potential mess on the wall. I would also check if your oven does actually transmit lots of heat, or if there is a heat outlet in the back. And if there is cupboard door, leave it open while using the oven. But generally it should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    If you are really concerned better get a little piece of dry wall, that will not transfer heat. The alu sheet is more for the potential mess on the wall.\.
    These are surprisingly effective at preventing heat transfer also. I got one of these to stop oil getting all over pots and pans I keep next to the stove, which also get hot to the touch when I cook. The foil does a pretty good job of absorbing the heat from the flame and preventing it from transferring over to the pots and pans a few inches away.

I've since found out you can get Towngas to send an engineer to visit for free to do a general assessment so have organised a visit to check this. Fingers crossed!
    Yeah, I forgot to mention it 's a free service they provide or are legally required to provide. I'm sure the guy will find nothing wrong with your set up but it's always better to be safe about these things.

Original Post Deleted
    ...a spark can do the job too.

Original Post Deleted
    ...just trying to help in case you have no success with the 600°C method....