Like Tree11Likes

New to HK. Planning to open a personal bank account. Need advice

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Spot on!! You just need address proof and your passport, nothing else. If they ask for more, let me know I come and open it for you :-) Sad but true if your non white it may be a bigger hassle. Suggest you wear a suit or nice business attire when opening the account, helps a lot.

Is it possible to present other docs than a utility bill as proof of residence? So far I have sourced soft copies for superannuation statements, mobile phone bill, bank statements, tax return, health insurance statements and a federal police check (which I had sent to my residential address). These docs together with my passport should be sufficient? I also do have a white face if that really matters ...

Mobile phone is a utility. Bank statements also fine. But they must be recent within 2 or 3 months from memory

Luck of the draw. Sometimes it's OK, sometimes it is more rigid.

I also need to open a bank account so the company that I'm working with can send money to it and I can use a Visa card to withdraw/purchase.

Do I really need to provide proofs of the address of my home country as well as my HK address in order to open a basic Bank account?

Quote Originally Posted by itsdawn:
    I also need to open a bank account so the company that I'm working with can send money to it and I can use a Visa card to withdraw/purchase.

Do I really need to provide proofs of the address of my home country as well as my HK address in order to open a basic Bank account?
    no only one address is needed. either will do but statements will go there.
    itsdawn likes this.

To be clear two address proof OF THE SAME ADDRESS in case that was your confusion

itsdawn likes this.

I think the requirements are variable. When we arrived at the end of last year, I was able to open an account very easily with HSBC within the first week with my passport and (since I wasn't able to provide proof of a permanent address in HK as we were in a serviced apartment) a letter from my employer confirming I had moved to HK, my contact address and that was permanently employed. I came away on the day with a temporary cash card and cheque book, Do change your bank details from your passport to your HKID card number once you get your permanent card through though - it is much easier to get applications for other products like a visa card and insurance accepted with a HKID on file rather than a foreign passport.

itsdawn likes this.

Thanks Katherine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scousebanana:
    I think the requirements are variable. When we arrived at the end of last year, I was able to open an account very easily with HSBC within the first week with my passport and (since I wasn't able to provide proof of a permanent address in HK as we were in a serviced apartment) a letter from my employer confirming I had moved to HK, my contact address and that was permanently employed. I came away on the day with a temporary cash card and cheque book, Do change your bank details from your passport to your HKID card number once you get your permanent card through though - it is much easier to get applications for other products like a visa card and insurance accepted with a HKID on file rather than a foreign passport.
    Great, very useful information as I will also use a serviced apartment for my first week(s).