Like Tree8Likes
  • 7 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By scrambler

Property Investment advice for retirement

Closed Thread

Property Investment advice for retirement

Hey guys,

seeing how China's finances are declining rapidly, we sold our apartments on the mainland and transferred all the money and most of our savings back to HK. We are now planning to investment into property somewhere else.

The plan right now is to use the money as a 50% down payment on a bunch of apartments in the 3M HKD range and use the rental income to pay off the mortgage. In 20 years, when we retire, the mortgage will be paid off and we can live off the rental proceeds. Or maybe we are lucky and the properties have appreciated considerably, but that's not really important. The rental income should be a bit higher than the mortgage payment so we can put some money into an emergency repair fund or use it for schooling for the kids.

We've considered UK, DK, DE, CH, CA, UAE

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Why not focus on low end luxury estates that have solid demand and are likely to increase in value? Rental yield might be a bit lower. I can't imagine what you will find in the 3m range, and I would avoid small flats (i.e. flats under 2 bed 450 sq ft net), as there is just too much supply. I would like at flats in the 6-7m range and 10-12m range (current values) if probable, and closely follow the market to see if there are any deals coming up.

With the high prices and current political situation, I don't think HK is the best place to buy at the moment. If the prices correct 30-50% downwards, then there are some good opportunities to get in the property market.

It's easy to look at other markets, but unless you or you have someone there who can look after the place, I don't think it's realistic or a viable option.

I'm not planning to invest in HK. As mentioned in my post UK, DK, DE, CH, CA, UAE or other EU/Western Countries with stable government and law enforcement. 3M HKD there would get me good sized apartments. Not shoeboxes like here
    I'm from Germany myself and travel frequently to EU and UAE for work and have family there who could look after the properties in an emergency.

Last edited by mrgoodkat; 08-01-2016 at 09:57 AM.

I think UAE would be a cool place. The buildings are sweet, it's clean, and the government knows they need to adjust to be competitive. I think that would be good value for the future. Flats are priced well too.

good thread. I just bailed out.. signed..

I want to go back to the UK - but actually after more than 22 years absence do worry about whether I will gete bored/itchy feet

should I buy a few places like the OP too? rent them out? sounds good - I will be ready to retire in 20 years too hahah

Anyone still following this thread?

Yes, I read it every day.

TheBrit, hullexile, jrkob and 4 others like this.

life in UK is ok - I'm not as busy as I would have hoped, but kids loving it so thats good...... low stress if you dont think about Brexit,, I went to a march on satureday - was super busy! bit of a festival atmosphere!

shri likes this.