Like Tree9Likes

applying for PR: does the family has to be in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

You need to be in Hong Kong on the date of the application and the date of the appointment. What you do in between is up to you.

And yes, they do check. We left HK for a six-week vacation 2 days after applying and they did review our file to confirm when we left vs. when we applied. I also had to do some appointment juggling to make sure we were back in time for the appointment.

I should also note if there is any problem with the application or need for additional documents that request letter will go to your Hong Kong address on the form. You may need to have someone check the mail.

Isn't there also something on the form that requires you to explain all absences over XX months? His family might have a problem filling that out if they have been gone for a few months from HK without visiting.

Going to be tricky...

lazymeow likes this.

[QUOTE=penguinsix;3542629]

And yes, they do check. We left HK for a six-week vacation 2 days after applying and they did review our file to confirm when we left vs. when we applied. I also had to do some appointment juggling to make sure we were back in time for appointment.

So it was like you applied then 2 days after went for vacation? Did the officer ask you the reason you absent for 6 weeks?

Quote Originally Posted by lazymeow:

So it was like you applied then 2 days after went for vacation? Did the officer ask you the reason you absent for 6 weeks?
    No, they didn't care. I specifically called the help center hotline and asked "Can I submit and then go on an overseas vacation" and they said "You have to be in Hong Kong when you submit but after that you can do what you want. Just have someone check your mail". In fact we had a document request that came in and we actually called them from Yellowstone National Park and explained we were on vacation and they were like "give it to us when you get back--no worries".

I should note that someone in another post noted if you do go on vacation after submitting, you do need the proper visa to get back in to HK. You can't submit on a work visa while here, exit, have visa expire, then come back (under new visa or visa waiver) to collect the card. That wouldn't work. That was in another post somewhere on this site from many years ago.
    lazymeow and shri like this.

If PR is important to you and your family, just stay in HK!

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    If PR is important to you and your family, just stay in HK!
    Not always possible - explainable temporary absences are perfectly ok. Kid going overseas for uni for example - perfectly ok. Longish absences for family / business / work reasons is also ok, as long as you can maintain and show that HK is your permanent residence - leases, salaries, income, property and other strong connections.
    TaD_LaLa likes this.

I believe the OP said his "friend" had already moved him and his family to Manila for work, so if they are still maintaining a residence in HK, then it should be ok, but if he has ended his residence here, taking the declaration that HK is now your permanent home might be a tall ask.