Like Tree11Likes

The end of the 747?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I just read in their inflight magazine Cathay will operate only twin-engined planes from 2017 so they will also discontinue the A340.

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Master:
    I just read in their inflight magazine Cathay will operate only twin-engined planes from 2017 so they will also discontinue the A340.
    Makes sense from a cost standpoint, twin engines are generally more fuel efficient than 3 or 4 engine aircraft. Many major airlines are following that trend to switch to twin engine aircraft only.

In the past, you need 3 or 4 engines because the earlier generation of turbojets didn't have the power, efficiency or reliability to fly long-haul based on only 2 engines. Prior to ETOP regulation, by law twin-engine aircraft also couldn't fly more than an hour or two from the nearest airport. But nowadays, with changes to regulation and greater power and reliability of the current crop of turbofans, 2 engines can do the task of 4 engines (turbojets has been phased out from commercial service after the retirement of Concorde).

I think the time for VLA (very large aircraft) will come around again in possibly 2025 - 2030 as passenger numbers keep increasing and airports get more congested. Landing slots at busy airports are already pushing some carriers to use larger aircraft.

Cho-man likes this.