Like Tree69Likes

Is it just me, or has Hong Kong become one of the most expensive places in the world to shop ?

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5

Please do share your best online sources. Just moved from the UK, and loved having Amazon, Waitrose and Ocado as my daily sources.

Eating out is not cheaper in the UK, but fresh groceries are far cheaper in the UK.

Last edited by SamSeborn; 08-02-2016 at 02:10 PM.
    Skyhook, Natfixit and HK_Katherine like this.

Can I just point out the obvious, London is not the UK.

East_coast and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSeborn:
    Eating out is not cheaper in the UK, but fresh groceries are far cheaper in the UK.
    Depends on what fresh groceries we are talking about. Maybe what locals in HK buy and what expats want to buy are two different things.
    SamSeborn and drumbrake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Natfixit:
    Quit picking my post apart. I don't just buy brie stuffed with lingonberry, but other dairy like yogurt and other cheese, rarely icecream as it it really expensive in HK and my husband and I don't really eat it. As for where I buy my groceries, we have no option as we do not live near a wet market, plus the produce displayed at TC wet market doesn't look so fresh. The wet market in Mui Wo is surprisingly expensive. If I had time, then Sham Shui Po is the option, but travel time....Wellcome and Pns in Mui Wo are mot cheap either, plus their fresh food section looks dodgy.
    The wet market at Mui Wo is expensive because of the greater trucking distance to transport the goods there. Same issue exist for the Tung Chung wet market. You may think the actual distance is not that far, but its a cumulative effect of transporting all the produce there.

Locals aren't known for being big cheese or yogurt eaters, so the HK market don't really cater to folks like you or me.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 08-02-2016 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamSeborn:
    Please do share your best online sources. Just moved from the UK, and loved having Amazon, Waitrose and Ocado as my daily sources.
    HK is not big on online shopping.
    Just hit your local wet market for food
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Almost everything is more expensive in London than HK except for a few notable things...
    One word. Bullshit. Next.
    hullexile, Skyhook and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    One word. Bullshit. Next.
    To be fair according to www.expatistan.com HK is overall cheaper than London (but there are a lot of things cheaper in London).

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    To be fair according to www.expatistan.com HK is overall cheaper than London (but there are a lot of things cheaper in London).
    I just looked at that and the breakdown. Way, way off. A laugh nonetheless. Utilities (although some figures there way off), transport and eating out yes. The rest, was a giggle anyway.
    Natfixit likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5