Like Tree14Likes

Sai Kung Population up by 100,000

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    In your view. But "the market" would appear to suggest that locals want to buy rabbit hutches not real homes.
    I can't believe you typed that. It is up there with "let them eat cake". Do you REALLY believe they WANT to buy rabbit hutches?
    TheBrit and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    I can't believe you typed that. It is up there with "let them eat cake". Do you REALLY believe they WANT to buy rabbit hutches?
    I believe they prefer smaller places in central locations to bigger homes further out yes. And I don't think developer's ignore what people want when they chose to build homes with stupidly small rooms rather than nicer ones with better designs either. Which means that policies to build " nice" homes in the green spaces we currently have (which are, by definition, further out) is not a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    I believe they prefer smaller places in central locations to bigger homes further out yes. And I don't think developer's ignore what people want when they chose to build homes with stupidly small rooms rather than nicer ones with better designs either. Which means that policies to build " nice" homes in the green spaces we currently have (which are, by definition, further out) is not a solution.
    Since 2010 the Government has mandated small flats in various developments. This obviously helps in hitting the much publicised flats / year target.

Isn't there a premium per sqft the larger you go in flat size? This is getting worse since the the enforcement of building tiny flats. This helps ensure the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor.

The sensible thing would be to target square footage of residential property to be built each year and let the market decide.

Original Post Deleted
    Agreed, but in reality, HK keeps building more housing and then let's in 50,000 + mainlanders per year. They are chasing their tail.

Problem would be solved very quickly if they stopped people coming in from up north. But then the greedy real estate guys wouldn't make their millions..,,
    Last edited by Open Casket; 13-02-2016 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:
    Agreed, but in reality, HK keeps building more housing and then let's in 50,000 + mainlanders per year. They are chasing their tail.

Problem would be solved very quickly if they stopped people coming in from up north. But then the greedy real estate guys wouldn't make their millions..,,
    close the border so 'unwanted' cant get in. I normally would be shocked reading this, then I saw it came from you.

Maybe be you haven't noticed but this is the USA and mainlanders aren't Mexicans. This is still their country.
    What will you propose next?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9n0q0Wf7ncM

Quote Originally Posted by Open Casket:

I agree and while they are at it, they should just not let anyone of any nationality in and kick out all the expats since they are obviously taking up homes that could be used for locals.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001:
    I agree and while they are at it, they should just not let anyone of any nationality in and kick out all the expats since they are obviously taking up homes that could be used for locals.
    Surely Hong Kong should be trying to attract the best and brightest. Trying to make it a matter of race is a false argument and probably says more about the people proposing such arguments.

The current migration policies to Hong Kong seem skewed towards low income, low education.

Unfortunately two policies that were bringing in higher quality migrants have been cancelled by the C Y Leung administration. Previously middle class (generally brighter, harder working etc) were coming to Hong Kong to to have babies (which Hong Kong desperately needs) and buying apartments to start to lay roots down in the city.

The current policy is to only promote low quality migrants under the guise of family re-unification and the constant probing to allow low end migrant workers for construction projects.

To improve the quality of migrants into Hong Kong the government should

1) Allow more large flats to be built
    2) Allow more mainland mother births (but policies to target only affluent parents)
    3) Allow anyone to invest in Hong Kong property (so long as they live in it or rent it out)
    4) Allow freerer migration of the brightest e.g. Automatic work visa's for post grad students at HK Uni's, Automatic work visa for global top 30 MBA courses,
    Last edited by East_coast; 13-02-2016 at 09:07 PM.