Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Natfixit
  • 2 Post By Elegiaque
  • 3 Post By Sweeneykill
  • 1 Post By Sarth88

Wanted: Female West Highland White Terrier Puppy (or two)

Closed Thread

Wanted: Female West Highland White Terrier Puppy (or two)

We have recently lost our 14 year old Westie (many years ago we bought her as a puppy in Aus and had her shipped to HK).

I have heard that there may be a small number of reputable breeders in HK and would like to hear of any. I'm also interested to hear form any hobby breeders or private individuals with pregnant Westies!

I won't go the pet shop/puppy mill route and will import again if I need to, but I would rather find a good Westie in HK if possible as there's a big Westie sized hole in the family that needs to be filled ASAP.

I'm fully aware of the wonderful dog adoption agencies out there, but in our case we just want another female Westie puppy. We will take a young female Westie if the adoption agencies have one. Westie owners will understand my family's loyalty to this breed.

Feel free to message me off forum if you have any ideas.

Many thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

popeye 2003 likes this.

Try SPCA, Okka at Villa Kunterbunt, HKDR or Kirstens Zoo as they may have dumped Westies, particularly SPCA and Villa Kunterbunt who receive what breeders dump in HK. Sounds horrible but it is true. I was told by a highly reputable vet here along with other people who work/ volunteer in the animal rescue scene that there are no reputable breeders here. My beagle is an example of a dump from a HK rogue breeder. Regardless of what you here, in HK, breeding is not regulated, even by the AFCD - their rules can be non sensical and do not necessarily protect the dog. Australia is different, although they DO have puppy farms there. Try the above suggestions ( google for websites), and if no go ( what is wrong with an adult dog? ), then you are best to go back to look about adopting from a reputable breeder back in Australia.

shri, Cwbguy and popeye 2003 like this.

"The animals are treated like a commodity -- a production machine..."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCObshZq3zU

The whole idea of "hobby breeders" leaves a loophole for people in HK to breed in awful conditions, and there is no accountability that they are providing their dogs a quality of life worth living. They are producing excessive dogs (and kittens) that cannot be cared for.

It's good you know about the rescue organizations in HK, and I do hope you can find what you're looking for through them. With some patience, you very well can find the specific breed you want and help save a life.

On a personal note, after living in Hong Kong for a few years now, I've really struggled to understand the interest in puppies of specific breeds. If you take a look around you, you'll see there is a rather huge, ethical problem of not enough homes for dogs here, be they friendly stray dogs that would benefit from a permanent home and care or dumped dogs from puppy mills. Thousands of dogs get put down each year because there aren't enough adopters, meanwhile unethical puppy breeders are chugging out more puppies. It's an awful situation. If Hong Kong has provided you with a good home and quality of life, then I strongly suggest you look at how you can help this situation to give back, particularly if you have a whole in your family that needs filling. We don't choose how our children look and what personalities they have, and a puppy is no different. They will be a member of your family, not a coat that matches your outfit. For sure, if you take your time and check regularly with the shelters, you will find one that will love you back ten times more than you love them!!! Their love and appreciation for the care and love you give them far outweighs how long their legs are or what color coat they have. And also, by adopting from them, you're helping to support them to continue to rescue animals and work on Trap-neuter-return programs to help address the problem.

(I'm sorry, but I can't find a specific SCMP article I had in mind in which they explain how around 2,000 dogs are put down in HK every year...)

Natfixit and Sweeneykill like this.

Unfortunately you're a bit too late, My Westie had puppies about nine months ago and all have been re-homed already.

I remember looking around in the rescue centres for a Westie companion myself, they are quite a sort-after breed so it is unlikely you will find one anywhere else but in a pet shop. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I wouldn't buy a puppy from any breeder (hobby or not) in HK. Nor from a 'pet shop'. Hong Kong may be a modern city of the world, but they are grossly behind when it comes to animal law welfare. The regulations here are simply not strict enough, nor are there enough actual regulations to regulate the puppy breeding industry.
    Breeding in Hong Kong is a serious issue and there's currently some major work going on by non-profit organizations lobbying to change the laws.

If you want a dog, adopt a stray from a shelter. They are often the most healthy, because they come from a wider range of genetic background.

Hi Sarth88,

I'm just wondering if you have been able to find a Westie breeder?

Thanks so much!

Hi ZuluXD,

Would your Westie have puppies again? Or was it a one-off?

Thanks so much!

""""in HK, breeding is not regulated, even by the AFCD - their rules can be non sensical and do not necessarily protect the dog."""" ABSOLUTELY AGREE !

i am a chinese but i can tell you honestly, most chinese don't care dogs but they are excellent in pretending themselves Pet Lovers, i know too "much" these kind of people who never treat their dogs and cats a member of the family, they never show love and concern to them, neither. i really pity most of the Pets in hong kong.

what they care is money, a large portion of those so-called themselves Dog lovers are unwillingly and/or never pay a dime to the vet no matter how their dogs and cats suffering. some of them will feed them with human medicine, damn.

i just lost my 15 years old Westie boy a couple of days ago, really broke our hearts much.

Last edited by popeye 2003; 25-01-2017 at 04:02 PM.