Like Tree10Likes
  • 7 Post By Bob Loblaw
  • 2 Post By 100LL
  • 1 Post By 100LL

The Drone Laws - Hong Kong

Closed Thread

The Drone Laws - Hong Kong

news.gov.hk - Drone laws under review

Are there any sensible Drone Laws that Hong Kong should implement?

frankly , between what's happening now and a 'no drones ever' law, i'd go with 'no drones ever.'
    this might not be the most constructive post i've ever made, i'll admit. but those things - and the people who play with them - are super annoying.

East_coast, Mamba, jgl and 4 others like this.

I'd restrict drone usage to country parks and prohibit it everywhere else.

How is Hong Kong Post going to air drop your mail onto your balcony in the future if they are completely restricted?

Australia's postal service is testing drone deliveries | The Verge

Quote Originally Posted by mrgoodkat:
    I'd restrict drone usage to country parks and prohibit it everywhere else.
    agree with the 2nd half....
    it doesn't happen often, but sometimes i'll be in the country parks, no one around, and the only thing i hear is the buzz of some idiot's drone bouncing through the valley.

Before I flew drones myself, I was a bit nervous or scared of them and thought yeah why do we have these.

But I've bought two drones and after having them, they are a lot of fun and one day I hope to compile different videos from across HK together. But I do admit they are dangerous, it is very difficult to keep them in one spot and flying between buildings requires some skill. It's only a matter of time before one crashes and hurts someone.

Overall though, I'm a fan.

The model aircraft regulations may be relevant here. I believe until we have something from the government, private/hobbyist drones should have to stick to these rules as a bare minimum. Yes, that means staying at low level and staying away from many areas including people and buildings.

In addition to safety, we have now privacy considerations and these things can be annoying to some. I'd not be happy if I have a drone out my window to be honest.

Don't understand me wrong, I am a fan of drones. I'd like to have one myself. But the world needs rules for this sort of thing.

What goes up must come down....

Civil Aviation Department - Flying Model Aircraft

Flying Model Aircraft

Safety in Radio-Controlled Model Aircraft Flying

Beware of the danger

Flying radio-controlled model aircraft can be a rewarding and enjoyable pastime. However, such aircraft can also pose a serious safety problem to operational aircraft.

There are incidents in which flying model aircraft in the vicinity of main flight paths have endangered the safety of helicopters operating there.

Operator of radio-controlled model aircraft should appreciate that the limited airspace over Hong Kong is shared by all aircraft. Helicopters, for operational reasons, may fly close to the tops of hills and mountains, at low level and at high speed.

It is difficult for a pilot to see and identify a model aircraft until he is at close quarters, when it may be too late for evasive action. The result of a collision can be disastrous.

It is therefore imperative that model aircraft operator flies his model at a height not exceeding 300 feet above ground level, keep a watch for any aircraft flying in the vicinity and ensure that he lands his model immediately when he sees one approaching.

IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO AVOID COLLISION. A PILOT OF A HELICOPTER OR LIGHT AIRCRAFT MAY NOT SEE A SMALL MODEL IN TIME TO AVOID IT.

It is also of paramount importance that model aircraft operator KEEP A SAFE DISTANCE between his model and people and property on ground as the model may cause serious injuries or even fatalities and serious damage on impact.

RECKLESSLY OR NEGLIGENTLY CAUSING OR PERMITTING A MODEL AIRCRAFT TO ENDANGER ANY PERSON OR PROPERTY IS LIABLE TO PROSECUTION.

Where you cannot fly

a) Model aircraft shall not be flown over populated and congested areas.

b) Model aircraft shall not be flown over, or close to, any object, installation or facility that would present a risk to safety in the event of damage due to any impact by the model aircraft, or in such a manner that the good order and discipline and control thereof may be or may likely be jeopardized.

c) Model aircraft shall not be flown in the vicinity of an airport and main aircraft approach and take-off paths. These areas include:

(i) Hong Kong International Airport;

(ii) North Lantau coastal area;

(iii) coastal areas from Tai Lam Chung to Tsuen Wan and Tsing Yi Island;

(iv) Victoria Harbour and its coastal areas; and

(v) Shek Kong area.

Altitude of Operations

The altitude of operations shall not exceed 300 feet above ground level.

Time of Operations

The operations of model aircraft shall be conducted during daylight hours only.

Choice of flying sites

A good choice of flying site not only minimises the possibility of an accident but also enhances the pleasure of the flying experience. Here are some tips to help you choose a good site. A good site should be:

(i) clear of persons, vessels, vehicles or structures;

(ii) away from helicopter landing pads;

(iii) clear of any power sources such as power lines, transformer stations, pylons, and transmitter towers, etc which might cause radio interference;

(iv) flat enough to enable safe take-off and landing; and

(v) free from visual obstruction, so that the operator can see the model aircraft in flight at all times.

Model aircraft flying hot spots

The following places are frequently visited by the public for model aircraft flying:

(i) Tai Tong in Yuen Long;

(ii) Nam Sang Wai in Yuen Long;

(iii) Tate's Cairn in Sha Tin;

(iv) Tseung Kwan O in Sai Kung; and

(v) Clear Water Bay Peninsula area in Sai Kung.*

* The hilltops at Clear Water Bay Peninsula are within the passages of air traffic used by light aircraft and helicopters. The operator of model aircraft should therefore ensure the safe passage of such air traffic, especially in poor weather conditions when pilots are forced to fly much lower than usual.

Caution: Safety measures must always be observed even when flying model aircraft in these hot spots.

Heavy model aircraft

Except with Civil Aviation Department's endorsement, heavy model aircraft weighing more than 7 kg (without its fuel) are not allowed to fly in Hong Kong.

Learning to fly

One of the best ways to learn to fly is to join a model flying club or to get help from an experienced model aircraft operator.

Remember to:

EXERCISE GOOD AIRMANSHIP,

BE CONSIDERATE, AND

KEEP YOUR HOBBY SAFE.

A COLLISION CAN KILL

Last edited by 100LL; 03-05-2016 at 09:54 AM.
    emx and TheBrit like this.

Turns out the CAD actually has some rules when it comes to flying commercial drones (>7kg or non-recreational purpose) and everything else can indeed classified as model aircraft (see my last post) at the moment:

Flying Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) weighing not more than 7 kg (without its fuel) for recreational purpose can be classified as model aircraft flying, and no application to CAD is required.
    So non-recreational drone operations are bound to more stringent rules, the major difference being approved by land/property owner and CAD.

As it looks now, this means (among other things) keeping an official log of your flights, do a safety assessment on-site, get permission from the land/property owner, and submitting an operations manual to the CAD.

Civil Aviation Department - Guidelines on Operations of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)

In my opinion, if somebody is flying a DJI Phantom (hobbyist drone with 1.5kg or so) to take a GoPro video for some Youtube ad it is a non-recreational operation, so weight is not the only thing to look at. Especially if the video is sponsored or about some company or product. Am I wrong?

How about a sports event? Say a drone flying at the dragon boat races? Recreational? I guess only until the drone operator gets paid for the video of his DJI phantom/GoPro..
    Last edited by 100LL; 03-05-2016 at 10:15 AM.
    emx likes this.

It will only a matter of time before the new tech of top of range drones trickle down to be affordable, like the anti-collision and auto fly on the DJI Phantom 4.