Like Tree54Likes

What kind of relationship do you have with your neighbours?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    @Skyhook

One day I wish you go and live in France and we will see. And when you do it, please live like the majority, ie on less than 2K euros a month.
    Monaco, Nice, of course of course. Monaco 50.000 peeps and now one on minimum wage. Nice, golden retirement area for rich french and the likes.

Pleas go to bethune for a month and we talk again or Saint Denis, cos you know this france also.

Dont get me wrong I like France and granted on average we probably know more our neighbor than some HK people but please stop selling it as the perfect ad. Like all places it's great and shit at the same time. Tourists (even extended tourists like you) tend to only see the good
    Extended tourists lmfao. As an EU citizen that owns property in France , I wI'll let that offensive snipe slide.

Considering My cousin Bruno has a band that regularly plays ( I always see them play when I am in Paris ) in St Martin and in St Denis, plus Clingnancourt, you'd be quite wrong. I grew up in a rough neighbourhood, quite comfortable in those surrounds. I like gritty it's allowed me some great street photography opportunities.

Also your comment about living on 2k etc in France, I'll fling right back at you..As a professional income earning foreigner who owns two properties in Hong Kong, how are you any different?. Do you spare a thought for the 1 million HK folks who earn less than 1200 euros a month ?

Touche
    rickyross likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dpmlicious:
    @Fiona in HKG, what is a 'roast beef' glance? Is that a saying translated into English? Sounds delicious but probably is more of a negative look? =D

It is definitely your choice to not be accommodating to other people. I wasn't suggesting that anyone needs to go out of their way to make someone feel more welcome or to try to talk to their neighbours. I was simply asking whether someone had tried and if they got a similar reaction.

While in Paris, my friend told me that the locals would be more friend if I spoke some French to them. I was wondering if maybe that was the case with her neighbours. I've also found that some people from other cultures seem fascinated and genuinely happy when you say a few words in their language. However, I realize it might be annoying to some, which might have been the case here.

I'm ethnically Chinese(Singaporean)-Korean. My first language is English and, unfortunately, I have limited Chinese and Korean communication skills. I also don't like any emphasis on nationalities and don't identify with either backgrounds. I dislike it when people find it important to ask me where I'm from and spew out random words in a language I don't really speak, after I already told them I don't use those languages. About the same feeling I get when people think they are complimenting me by telling me I'm great at communicating in my first language. However, I know they are trying to be friendly. I wouldn't really like having a stranger say "ni hao" or "anyong" to me in the US.

I also wouldn't be surprised if anyone of any nationality, locals included, ended up just wanting to keep to themselves after living in Hong Kong for a while, especially if people poke fun of their nationality.
    I don't poke fun of the French. Only their berets , moustaches and showering themselves with perfume instead of taking a shower like civilized people.
    TheBrit likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    . Do you spare a thought for the 1 million HK folks who earn less than 1200 euros a month ?

Touche
    Given my inlaws are in pretty much that, yes fairly easy to think about it - right back at you Sky :-)

Anyway you see my point (I know you do). France is not only Monaco Nice Chateau de la Loire etc etc...It's got plenty of issues, more than I can start to write about.
    Char Siu King likes this.

I live in a village and its coming up to 10 years we have been here, most of the people are nice and friendly, some of our closest neighbours we are on 1st name terms and we borrow/share all the time and give/receive lots of help when required. There are some zombie local villagers that I dont bother with and they dont bother with us but rest of the local villagers are great.

dpmlicious likes this.

I have great relationship with my neighbors' dog

dpmlicious likes this.

We know pretty much all our neighbours

dpmlicious likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4