Like Tree1Likes

Sing Tao / Standard Layoffs

Closed Thread

Sing Tao / Standard Layoffs

So... SCMP has trimmed down its newspaper to a bare minimum. The content in the paper is there to simply fill in the gaps left by the ads.

The Standard which seemed to have some amount of local coverage is going to be affected by this.

HKFP is still quite focused on politics and simply does not have the depth to cover local news / business and provide good analysis (not a slam... but they're still a young organisation that has not found its model).

EJ Insight is random...

Sing Tao News Corporation laid off about 20 employees on Wednesday, weeks after it cut or froze their wages in a bid to cut costs.

The move to cut staff has not been officially announced, but employees said individual colleagues had received notices from the group’s human resources department, which had received a list of staff members who were being asked to leave.

The affected staff members come from various departments including the group’s flagship Chinese-language daily Sing Tao Daily and its free English tabloid The Standard, as well as its profitable free Chinese-language tabloid Headline Daily and the weekly magazine East Touch.

Hong Kong newspaper lays off 20 staff in cost-cutting move | South China Morning Post

You forgot

Coconuts
    RTHK

and

http://www.gov.hk/en/about/rss.htm

Last edited by East_coast; 26-05-2016 at 09:37 AM.

Yes, RTHK ... forgot about them.

I know I'm going to contradict myself in the next sentence but bear with me.

I would not put Coconuts and news in the same sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Yes, RTHK ... forgot about them.

I know I'm going to contradict myself in the next sentence but bear with me.

I would not put Coconuts and news in the same sentence.
    If you have a chat with the HKFP team they will probably tell you when they run a Coconutesque nonsense story their hits shoot up. There needs to be a balance of politics, general news, sport, gossip and the 'and finally' silly stories.

The Daily Mail doesn't have much journalism but it is the world's most read newspaper.

the SCMP has a lot more 'and finally' stories but they are all a bit dull.... such as the one this week where newlyweds hand write out a copy of the Communist Party manifesto to show their love for each other and the party
    Last edited by East_coast; 26-05-2016 at 09:39 AM.

If you have a chat with the HKFP team they will probably tell you when they run a Coconutesque nonsense story their hits shoot up.
    The race to the bottom is a lot easier...

Seems like The Standard has finally fixed their RSS feeds.

Much better local coverage.

who will buy and watch SingTao Daily.....a quite rubbish pro Peking newspaper