Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shri

General Assembly

Closed Thread

General Assembly

Anybody room a course with the private institution, General Assembly? I feel very skeptical regards 3 months course, and guaranteed to find a job once you completed their course. Especially the fact the course fee is about 120,000 HKD.

Is there alternatives? I currently have full time job, and my job finish at 9pm.

What are you trying to learn?

https://www.coursera.org/specializations/full-stack

If you want Ruby on Rails, it's also available

https://www.coursera.org/specializations/ruby-on-rails

In all honesty, if you're going to spend 120,000HKD, why not just hire a private tutor? Don't get duped by flashy courses. You can't learn the fundamentals from 3 months alone. You'll only be left with shortcuts to make a product this one rigid way.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    What are you trying to learn?
    Full-stack web development. As Creative83 linked. And yes, I am very skeptical about it. I did a lot of self-learning, so I know the fundamentals of HTML, CSS and JavaScript. And working with Meteor framework. I am just not comfortable with working in a backend development.

Sorry, I forgot to answer this, until I saw this meme and it reminded me of your post.

And front end developer is on the other side, cropped out.

Together they make a full stack developer.

Full stack development is a scary world - are you as good with reactjs as you're with sysctl variables?

Focus on one thing and do it well. Just knowing fundamentals is inadequate if you want to command premium dollars - and a few week / months with GA will not get you anywhere.

I'd suggest you take on a challenging as fuck project - something where you go "I have no clue where to begin" and try to map out the components and you'll figure out that some things are best left to others.

I am a year into a similar project, but unfortunately the damn stack keeps changing. But I'm doing it for the sake of learning, no rush here.

Creative83 likes this.

The other thing I want to mention is that crash courses like to 'teach' ruby on rails.

Do you have a Macbook? If not, you'll need to add additional cost to the already expensive tuition fee cause you'll come across many issues running Ruby on Rails on a window.

But the main thing you really have to understand is that in the learning process, you need time to digest. Programming has a lot to do with sleeping on a problem and taking rests. The way that these education institution works conflicts with student's learning cycle. The longer they prolong their course, the more costly it gets for them.