Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cwbguy
  • 1 Post By Trebor

Best Roast dinner

Closed Thread

Best Roast dinner

I know theres an old thread around, but just wanted to know if there are any updates. I really miss a good old roast dinner with all the trimmings. We've tried Frites in Wan chai and Tai koo, the roast is ok, but not brilliant as they're very stingy with the gravy and the roast potatoes don't really have the roast to them (abit soggy), Yorkshire puds are just ok. Any updates really apprecitaed. Heard of the Globe , but haven't tried it yet- any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by FRENCH BREAD:
    Any updates really appreciated. Heard of the Globe , but haven't tried it yet- any comments?
    Most people I know go to The Globe and swear by it.

Any other alternatives to the Globe? Causeway Bay / South Island?

The Dickens used to do a good one.

There's a new place in Pui O called The Water Buffalo and they do weekend roasts. Don't know about quality/quantity but maybe a nice day out? (I think they're closed for summer right now for a week or two, just fyi).

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Any other alternatives to the Globe? Causeway Bay / South Island?

The Dickens used to do a good one.
    "used" being the operative word. Even though I live two minutes away from the Excelsior I jump into a cab to The Globe when I want good food. The Dickens got taken over by the bean counters when it was refurbished.
    Rob2020 likes this.

@Cwbguy - nothing equivalent to the Globe in CWB?

Pity ... have Saturday free and want to wander around CWB to run some errands. Globe is out of question.

I tried the Cannyman a while back. It was OK.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    @Cwbguy - nothing equivalent to the Globe in CWB?

Pity ... have Saturday free and want to wander around CWB to run some errands. Globe is out of question.
    Chronic shortage of good bars and Western restaurants in CWB. Wan Chai has better options.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwbguy:
    Chronic shortage of good bars and Western restaurants in CWB. Wan Chai has better options.
    Frites just opened an outpost on Haven Street. But their food is thoroughly average... (and bit pricey considering)

Original Post Deleted
    On that particular day, I was going to be in CWB and did not really want to go to Central for a meal.