Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By flameproof
  • 3 Post By flameproof

Raspberry pi

Closed Thread

Raspberry pi

Hi all, please bear with me as im not technically minded at all. I live in uk but will be stayi g with friends in fanling for 2 weeks in november. At home in uk we have a raspberry pi which works great. I would like to take 1 for my friends but dont know if it would work over there. Any advice on this or can i buy over there? Wheres best to buy and price?and what do they need to run it? Obviously internet but does it have to be a certain speed etc.
    Sorry for all the questions and thankyou if anyone can help

You can order from Element14, delivery takes about 2 days.

But from your description, if you're not moderately technically inclined, and if your friends are similar, the Pi isn't going to be very useful.

What do you want to do with it?

My friends are younger and more technical than me. Was thinking for them to watch movies etc as my son has 1 at home and uses it a lot.

You might want to check that they don't already have something like this. Lots of cheap boxes here already that stream legal and not legal content.

Otherwise, HKD300 from Element14. You also need a small MicroSD card from any electronics store, a spare phone power supply and micro USB cable, and maybe a case,

Mandy Carter likes this.

Thanks. Will ask

Here is a little fun project I just did that might be useful to some people:

RasPi as VPN server to beat the China GFW

I run PPTP, L2TP and OpenVPN via my NAS (on a 100M fiber line) and that is already sufficient for my needs. But here is what I did for fun:

Connect a RasPi to my router (you need only 2 cables, network and USB for power (router has a USB port too) - I don't use any monitor)

Install 'Shawdowsocks' on the RasPi (not exactly a VPN but a proxy that is often used in China) - and run it.

Install the Shawdosocks App on my android - works flawless!

Will do some testing how it compares to the NAS (on the same IP) on my next China trip.

(note: there is nothing really to dl from the official site, you can do that directly when you SSH from your RasPi)

https://shadowsocks.org/en/index.html

emx likes this.

Little Shadowsocks on RasPi vs. NAS update.

I tried it in HK today a few times. One huge difference is that the RasPi connection is almost instant - the NAS needs to wake up first and it takes a good 15 Seconds or so till the connection stands.

Will do more tests in China soon.

One nice thing about that RasPi that you just need 2 cables to make it work, USB and network. Since my router has USB the whole setup is very compactName:  raspisocks.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  344.3 KB

vmlinuz, nickvv and emx like this.