Like Tree27Likes

Uber v/s Tesla Business Models - Both lose money

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Might be fine as a city car, but how do you drive it long distance?

https://electrek.co/2016/09/14/the-v...tant-question/
    This is where I think Tesla really missed the boat, there is such a big opportunity to make the supercharger the standard. By creating all these different charging systems, these car companies are alienating themselves and their customers. Tesla should spin its supercharging business off under a different brand and begin a hard campaign to make its charging technology the standard, then they can begin charging money for the electricity for non Model S and Model X vehicles.

One of the reasons the gasoline powered vehicle has been so successful is because of the vast network of stations where you can refuel any vehicle at any time with a standard delivery system. It doesn't matter where you are in the world or which vehicle you drive, when you pull in to a gas station the delivery system and gasoline being pumped into your vehicle are essentially the same.

I like how there is so much hate on Tesla, they losing money, they will never succeed in launching a car, blabla
    same has been said for years about Musk's companies. What people forget is they managed to build an Full on electric car, while the other car manufacturer haven't really innovated. Same for Spacex, they manage to send rockets in space for 1/10th of the price. Everytime there is bad news on any of these companies it's insane to see the amount of publicity that goes, this is probably pushed by the big conglomerate as well.
    Tesla just didn't make Electric car, they completely re-invented how a car is built, most of the car is built in house, unlike other car companies who don't make most of the parts. This means that they can change or adjust things very quickly. Nowadays cars rely more and more and electronics, the Tesla is always online, meaning that it can be updated overnight to improve the car. While other car manufacturer have to contact supplier and go through series of approvals. Tesla is 100x more agile than any of the competition, look at Nissan who claimed they would flood the Electric car markets by 2012, where are they again? I look in the street and it's not them I see.

SpaceX is the only real viable option in the US, NASA funding has been going downhill, I don't see any Alternative in the US.

I think before people start bashing Musk, they should really read about what he's achieved, he changed the Electric car industry, same for Solar panel, and now launching rocket in space. These three companies he has share technology, they have been built from scratch using similar philosophy and hiring the best people in the industry.

I don't even like car but Tesla is probably the only exciting car I have seen on the market, all the other electric cars are just copycat trying to catch up with Tesla.

rickyross likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    Not sure, but what's the point? The huge majority of car parts are sourced out. Car companies mainly just assemble them. The bigger ones will probably have R&D teams that look into battery technologies. Does that hinder development? I don't think so. Apple doesn't produce anything and they hold good technology in their hands.

I think Tesla wants to make batteries. I doubt it will be profitable for them. Car battery supply will increase a lot over the next 2 years and prices will go down. Looks more like more losses for Tesla.
    Batteries are the secret sauce of making EV's mainstream. If you outsource your batteries, you are outsourcing your competitive advantage. IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Batteries are the secret sauce of making EV's mainstream. If you outsource your batteries, you are outsourcing your competitive advantage. IMHO.
    There are quite a few batt suppliers out there. Can't see that Tesla has any advantage, can't also see that they can do lots of innovation in that field as it's not their main business. IMHO their competitive advantage is being one of the first on the market, a nice design and pretty much the longest range around (BWM i3 can't even manage 200Km)

Original Post Deleted
    Nissan does do lots of R&D on batteries, but seems they prefer others to produce them. They want to sell their own production line:

Nissan Plans to Sell Battery Operations, in Talks With Tesla’s Battery Cell Supplier | TrendinTech

Just found that quote by GM's Bob Lutz:

Question to Bob Lutz: Do you think Elon Musk has his sights set on a bigger game than car manufacturing? That he may view Tesla as a first step on the road to becoming a supplier of electricity via widespread Supercharger stations?

Answer from Lutz: Contrary to the Musk-besotted faithful, I believe the whole house of cards is going to collapse. Model S sales have slowed dramatically in recent months. The model X appears to refuse to let itself be built. The battery Gigafactory is a white elephant, and at press time, Tesla has announced a deal to buy the cash-hemorrhaging SolarCity, putting two gigantic money eaters together and hastening the ultimate catastrophe. I don't know what Musk's megastrategy is or if he even has one. Two things are sure: He knows how to enthuse people and get their money, and he doesn't have a clue about actually running a car company.

TheBrit likes this.

Saw that. Nice surprise for everyone!

Wait till their long range delivery van is launched, they'll get 100's of thousands of orders in the first week of officially announcing it.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4